Single speed MTB

I have been racing SS both MTB and XC for the past 8 years and I find the simplicity of it great. No shifting, no clogging, lighter weight and easier to maintain. I my not be as fast in the flats as geared bikes but any twisty techy stuff it really pays off.
1 more thing, they just look so dang clean and cool.:)

Attachments

• _MG_5541_1.JPG
    _MG_5541_1.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,517
  • IMG_3787_1.JPG
    IMG_3787_1.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,517
  • IMG_5359_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_5359_1_1_1.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,517
Well i'm using a Ritchey 2x9 or as i like to call it a Sachs/Ritchey 1x8! :roll:

But hey there's no crossover!! ;)

Al, Blather is the new fact, fact.

been thinking about building a ss myself and best advice i could give is if you already have a mtb ride it without changing gear, find the best gear ratio on your regular rides, see if you like it and then check what gear ratios you are using.

bolly":7g5eitqz said:
been thinking about building a ss myself and best advice i could give is if you already have a mtb ride it without changing gear, find the best gear ratio on your regular rides, see if you like it and then check what gear ratios you are using.

Nah...I truly believe it doesn't work like that. Its about commitment to one gear.
Riding one gear in a ratio...with all the gubbings and weight and @oh...I guess I could change gear if I really wanted to' doesn't work
Choose a 2:1 ratio as a starting...commit and get rid of all the crap on your bike and ride it.
MMmmmm..yeh..I can FEEL the gear...
Yeh! Its feeeels GOOD
Have you seen the light brother
HAVE YOU SEEN THE LIGHT?

just do it.

its only money. how much could you possibly lose?

personally, I prefer a bigger ring up front...way too much spinning going on with a puny 30 something ring, the trade off is you have to defy physics and avoid going up hills. ever.

bolly":txnotwog said:
I've done that for a couple of weeks on my Rocky, while I assembled all the stuff . THought I'd try it since I don't get time for more than 1 -1 1/2 hour rides any more. I finished building up Sidewinder's old KHS this evening, and , man, t's beautiful! :D 20.5 lbs of utter loveliness!
I had more fun on a bike this evening than I've had for years! An hour on the common, called in for my tea, then out again!
Try it!

i built this...

9qahdg.jpg

for a few reasons. first my budget was limitted so i saved by not fitting gears. secondy i'd beeen advised its a great way to get fit.

the decider for me was following longun round forrest pines on his single speed. it made me really consious of how smooth he was and how little he used his brakes.

having now used it loads to get to work (really not far though!) and a few off road rides, i can honestly say i'm really glad i did it. i love riding it. its light, simple and quiet. i imagined it would make riding slow but thats not the case.

you seem to ride differently on a single speed. i attack hills more and dont give up as fast

Tel":25znvjqh said:
What is the main purpose of a ss MTB? And what sort of gear (inches) should it run?

I ask because I'm considering converting an old mtb I have but not sure about the why's of doing it and if I sell it on I want it to appeal to the wider market.

it has a lot to do w/ where you ride. ultra steep tight twisty ground followed by medium speed terrain and a SS sucks.

I switched last winter. It does depend massively on where you live. If I was in the Peak District it wouldn't work for me.

My 1999 Alu Cindercone built up to a 20-21lb bike (9kg) using ordinary components (P2's, Deore V's, Sugino chainset, cheap bars, seatpost etc). Losing the weight helps.

It does make you ride harder. The choice is to kick it up the hill or walk. That has translated into my road riding even, where I am more determined. SS gears are the same as around 39-21 on the road...if I can do it offroad then i can do it on tarmac :x

This made me fitter (as a 42 year old parent holding down a job maximising riding benefit is good)

You corner better - speed once lost may not be regained (especially over 22mph when I spin out) - so my cornering technique is improved.

Personally I got rid of suspension forks as I have to ride out of the saddle a lot and didn't want the things boinging and wasting effort.

Back