Show us what you did today, thread

After the less than ideal week with rain, snow and sunshine it was good to have the day live up to the forecast with bright sunshine and little wind for once. Not all great news as the forecast was also for rain and sleet in the evening. So after a quick trip to town for work this morning I headed out just before 12. Plan was to drive out towards Loch More and head south on the eastern side of the Altnabreac loop but instead of turning west at the old Dalnawillan graveyard I headed south on the rapidly deteriorating dirt road. Went from the flow country up into the hillier country before stopping to make a brew and eat my sandwiches. The road which had been wet clay for the last few miles was getting wetter and more slushy as I went, the increasing wind from the high hills was very cold still and seen as how it had gone 4pm I decided to start heading back. A great day out and yes, I may have been quicker on the Pugsley or Mercian but this was a recce for a camping trip so I rode the Bullitt. A nice relaxing ride and I was carrying quite a lot of stuff to weigh it down.
Made it home for 6.15 which was perfect timing as Heather messaged me that she had made pizza dough and sauce, so fire up the pizza oven and dinner within the hour :)
Hope others had nice weather as well. It is now sleeting here so a good call to go today, besides it is tour of Flanders tomorrow ;)

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Jamie, you should supply the company that made that cargo bike with publicity photos. I do not think they intended the Bullit to be used for backroads trekking in the wilderness but its obviously capable 😎
Plus if that's what you Highlanders call a rapidly deteriorating mud road you need to get down here and see our heavily used rapidly deteriorating tarmac roads. Our mud roads are completely fecked😅

Just a bit of clyde coast mooching for me this week with my 10 year old, hoping to discover more decent trails in the area over the coming months now that I'll be spending more time up here.

Hoping to do callendar woods and carron valley in may when I'm next up.
20220408_131941.jpg

Last edited:
At Easter Heather, Caleb and myself were away for 5 days down south. Four of those day were spent in not quite so sunny Helensburgh catching up with family and friends. We finally went back to the Air B&B that we had in 2019 and have had booked since we left but like many things, covid has meant it took until this Easter for it to happen again. Our friends we stay in it with unfortunately got Covid a few days before so it was just us with visits from family and eating with friends. I did manage to take the Jack Taylor away with me and got a few rides in, both late afternoon/evening rides for a couple of hours. Both times headed down the water towards Gairloch . The Saturday I went through to Gairloch and the Sunday I turned inland at the navy base up into a long climb and into the next valley whose name escapes me. Lovely ride on both days and spoiled with the bike lanes cycle paths for most of it. Despite getting a bit wet one night they were both really nice rides with stopping to read the information boards and various things about.
Hope everyone else had a nice Easter and maybe we should think of another Macretro Easter away trip for next year :)
A couple of pics.

Jamie

Was out again this afternoon on the Mercian KOM for a late afternoon/early evening ride round the coast. The weather wasn't the best during the day and while I did have the day off I did have a shed load of things to get done, so was grateful at the end of the day to get out just as the weather improved.
Managed a couple of hours meandering around the county just enjoying being out and really enjoying being back on the Mercian again.
Hope everyone else has had a nice day.

Jamie

Chilled day today after spending an 11 hour shift up the DH hill at Innerleithen marshalling the Pro stage of the EWS (Enduro World Series) and the EWS public race.
Had only expected to be helping in event village and car park but they were short on marshalls and somehow got the best position on the hill, the road gap. Was lucky as we were in a group of 2 or 3 all day and were in the sun. Took turns swapping with the guy below us as there was no sun in the thick of the forest and it was absolutely baltic in there. Tried not to stay there too long at a time though as it was a bit boring on your own, and further up you got to control the fire road crossing the gap jump, so we’re meeting the pro’s as they came up.
Last guy through in the public event was absolutely spent and over half an hour behind schedule but thankfully they let him keep going to finish the event.
Once the sweeper came through (ex junior DH world champ) we got to walk down the track. Never seen that hill so dry and dusty. Very un-Scottish.
After a bite to eat, I headed home and eventually got home at 10pm, after leaving that morning at 4.30.
Saw absolutely nothing of the event village but was an amazing day being so close the the action. I reckon our crew saw over 500 riders safely through our patch. If you think the pro’s look quick in videos, you wouldn’t believe how much faster they are in real life. Even compared to the bottom of the pro field the top racers are so much faster and smoother.

D684AA16-D3B3-428F-8D49-6E01321678B2.jpeg DD661526-9548-406C-8EA5-0C287EB2A9C3.jpeg C455E9A1-FAA9-46FD-9DD5-D9CF81430CEB.jpeg E9A7B4CC-3D9D-4DF4-A806-DAEB27113C43.jpeg 9ABFEC74-09D1-4A0A-8C5B-5B359C899A7F.jpeg 61C10171-E42F-477B-8590-A100D7205595.jpeg 77762794-8A12-4EEB-8E9C-53BA2F06C97E.jpeg B563E3AE-01F5-407E-A86C-27104EAF505D.jpeg

Looks and sounds like a great day Clubby! Long but good and always good to be close to the action.

Jamie

Chilled day today after spending an 11 hour shift up the DH hill at Innerleithen marshalling the Pro stage of the EWS (Enduro World Series) and the EWS public race.
Had only expected to be helping in event village and car park but they were short on marshalls and somehow got the best position on the hill, the road gap. Was lucky as we were in a group of 2 or 3 all day and were in the sun. Took turns swapping with the guy below us as there was no sun in the thick of the forest and it was absolutely baltic in there. Tried not to stay there too long at a time though as it was a bit boring on your own, and further up you got to control the fire road crossing the gap jump, so we’re meeting the pro’s as they came up.
Last guy through in the public event was absolutely spent and over half an hour behind schedule but thankfully they let him keep going to finish the event.
Once the sweeper came through (ex junior DH world champ) we got to walk down the track. Never seen that hill so dry and dusty. Very un-Scottish.
After a bite to eat, I headed home and eventually got home at 10pm, after leaving that morning at 4.30.
Saw absolutely nothing of the event village but was an amazing day being so close the the action. I reckon our crew saw over 500 riders safely through our patch. If you think the pro’s look quick in videos, you wouldn’t believe how much faster they are in real life. Even compared to the bottom of the pro field the top racers are so much faster and smoother.

View attachment 633192View attachment 633193View attachment 633194View attachment 633195View attachment 633196View attachment 633197View attachment 633198View attachment 633199

Looks like a great day was had, and great weather too :cool:

Is that the road gap near the top that goes straight into the long straight wood chute? scary speed down there :)

For me this was indeed a long weekend as I had Friday off work and Heather and I were meeting some close friends from down Liverpool way for the weekend in Callendar. You may well ask, where is Caleb in all this? Well, he had a Boys Brigade campout from Thursday night through until later tonight. So we were child free and heading for a nice hotel in a nice town to relax for the weekend.
Luckily I have a very understanding wife who agreed it would be a good idea to take a bike and check out some local routes while there. Maybe in the morning before everyone is up or later in the afternoon before dinner ;)
Well I put the Mercian in the van and some gear and ended up having two early morning rides consisting of a couple of hours each morning enjoying the glorious sunshine before heading back and joining the others for a late breakfast.
Saturday I headed east and took some dirt tracks which looped up a massive climb to a lovely waterfall.
Whereas Sunday I headed towards Killin on good old cycle route 7, the Lochs and Glens route I normally only ride the northern section of. Beautiful cycle paths, lovely scenery made all the better by the lovely sunshine and warmth. Both days on the road by 7 and in shorts!
Anyway, here are a couple of photos.
Saturday:

Sunday: