Show us what you did today, thread

The cafe sounds “interesting”, I’ll have to check it out sometime.
Hope your medical issues resolve themselves soon, I’ve been in the wars recently and mostly been riding geared bikes until things improve.

Has everyone abandoned Retrobike?

I’m still here, but to be honest I have abandoned retrobiking. Not ridden retro since I sold my Cannondale 3 years ago and my remaining GT hasn’t been out in 6 years. No intentions of selling it but no great enthusiasm to ride it either. Great memories of it but just couldn’t handle the way I ride or what I like to ride these days.
Modern bikes are just better. Older bikes are more interesting though and I can see why some prefer them. There’s very few quirky bikes these days. Don’t see the likes of the Klein Mantra or Whyte Prst1 anymore. Do look at eBay and the classifieds every now and then and always come to the conclusion I’d never ride them.

Still plodding away doing my own thing. Not posting much as there’s only so many times I can tell you that I’ve done my local loop again.
For a change I went up to Comrie Croft today with the ebike. Shoulders and upper back are wrecked from the number of runs I managed to fit in. Not sure if they have dumbed down some of the trails or if I’m actually getting better but cleaned an entire section that I’ve struggled with in the past. Weather was gorgeous and the coffee and cake from the cafe van was fantastic.

3FE04DB9-25C7-4F0D-BD4A-7AE8FE282384.jpeg

this weekend I finally got my new gravel/commuter bike, a cotic escapade

first time I’ve ridden a bike with drop bars since I was a teenager, really enjoying it and with 700x42 tyres its quick enough For me and can ride the local farm roads etc.

like you clubby, been doing local loops and out with the wifey mostly recently, still kinda weird to try to think of a larger group ride to be honest even though the local mucky riders club are doing 15+ groups every week! Strange times indeed.

it’s our 25th wedding anniversary this weekend so are off to the far south.......of Fife.........to limekilns for a few nights in a lovely hotel overlooking the forth. Plenty of biking and walking around the coast..

need to arrange a meet at comrie croft a weekend again

It seems like it Steven, I'm as guilty as the rest by not posting much or replying when someone else posts.

I still have my retro bikes but have only ridden one once since March last year. That was when I bought a brand new modern geo bike.
Unfortunately modern bikes are better to ride and kinder to auld bones and joints. Still love having my retro bikes, 4 Cannondale MTBs, 1 Cannondale road bike, a Marin Wolf Ridge and a couple of 531c lugged steel roadies. The retro roadies have had more use than retro MTBs.

I was bored needing something interesting to do, sourcing parts, putting them together, so I rebuilt the Marin Wolf Ridge over the last couple of months as a 1x10s with brand new Shimano disc brakes and a 140mm 15mm Fox fork which better balances out the longer swingarm on rear. The only bits on frame that remain are the rear wheel, seatpost and headset which will be getting changed to a Hope when I can be arsed.
Feels like the modern geo Transmitter with it's slacker head angle. Need a few downward rides to see if it feels OK in that direction.

Keith, you and Shona enjoy yer annversary weekend. Congrats.

25 years!?!? She’d have got a shorter sentence for murder Keith!! 😆
Congrats on a quarter of a century anniversary 🥂

A group ride would be good before the summer is Here & gone again.

Went for a ride up and down Benarty then down Harran Hill on way home with rebuilt '98 Marin Wolf Ridge. Marin Wolf Ridge 1.jpg

Looking over Loch Leven towards West Lomond, Bishop Hill and East Lomond Marin Wolf Ridge 2.jpg

Have changed fork, front wheel, bars, brakes, cranks/BB, cassette, rear mech, pedals, tyres.
To go along with the longer swing-arm I previously fitted it now has a 140mm 15mm Fox Float RL fork, Hope 15mm thru-axle wheel front, Hope QR rear with Maxxis Ardent front, High Roller II rear both tubeless, 780mm bars off Transmitter, 50mm stem, Race Face Evolve DH cranks with bash ring, XT BB, 11-50 10s cassette, XT clutch mech, XT 10s shifter, 1x10s, flattie pedals, XT/SLX 4 pot front/2pot rear brakes with 180/160mm discs. Only new stuff were the tyres and brakes, everything else sourced off eBay, Retrobike, stash. Think I will be going back to Crank Brothers Mallet 3 like I have on the Transmitter, don't like not being clipped in. Quit while I still have my shins intact.

I still pop in now and again, still like fiddling with bikes and ride most weeks on modern, or my retro roadie. I sit on facebook more as it covers my multiple interests and most of you are there too.

Work, family and dog have taken priority last few years, i do miss the epics and the brilliant aftermath stories.

Good to see on Strava that you’re getting out again. Pretty sure you’re actually gaining weight cycling though. Most of your rides seem to alcohol fuelled! Reliving your teenage years?

OCP - does Loch Leven still contain massive troots or is that all gubbed now? Used to be a cracking venue.

Back