Show us what you did today, thread

Still playing with pressures, need an accurate gauge that goes low enough, front tyre may have been too firm 😳

Have read a few reports of how just a couple of psi on fat tyres makes a huge difference on the ride. I would have thought it would have mattered less due to the larger volume but apparently not.

I use the Venhill gauge on my Motorbikes, very accurate and reads in 1 psi increments.

Still playing with pressures, need an accurate gauge that goes low enough, front tyre may have been too firm 😳

Most don’t go low enough for fat bikes. Accuracy isn’t really necessary, but consistency is. Doesn’t really matter what the gauge reads as long as it’s the same every time. Very low pressures make this hard on gauges designed to read 0-100 psi. Look at the gauge above. Accuracy rated at -1.2 to + 1.8. That’s a big difference on tyres at 8psi!
When I had my Pugsley I never used a gauge, you just get used to what feels right for different surfaces. Used to vary pressure a lot depending where I was riding. Soft sand and snow needs very low, rocky beaches need a bit more.

Morning Clubby,
have ordered a gauge that reads from 0-15 psi for presta valves so I can see what the pressure is until such times I’m able to get my head around what feels good on the bike and how the tyre feels if I do the normal ‘squish’ test with my hands, 27.5x4.5 is a fair volume to fill!

B3F4053E-3045-49C2-9874-EB8B9BF92083.jpeg

A few photos from March 21st socially distanced ride with the Highland Classic Bicycle Groups Crocus ride in Inverness.
Caleb and I were on the Flying Scot tandem and had a great day out together riding through Inverness and along the canal with Brian and everyone else with a picnic lunch along the canal. Great to see Brian everyone again. Caleb had a ball and did him no end of good to get out.
So glad he decided to come so we could get some miles in on the tandem :) he almost didn't come as when I asked each time on Saturday he just kept saying no he didn't feel like it. I even tried to convince him just before he went to bed as I was loading the Jack Taylor into the van as I had to leave by 6am to drive the couple of hours south to Inverness and get Brian on the way. No he wasn't coming, Ok can't be too hard but knew something wasn't right as he had been shielding again since Christmas due to Heather and he was just anxious about being out around people and also about leaving Heather on her own, though she really needed the time alone. Anyway as I was leaving at 6 am heading out the door with a coffee in my hand, van warming up he came out of his bedroom half asleep saying he had changed his mind and wanted to come. I said too late my boy as I had to leave and didn't have time to unpack, get him ready, then dig out the tandem and load it up. Said goodbye and left, well I only got about a mile down the road, rang Heather and said get him ready and I would be home in a minute to swap bikes etc but he needed his breakfast to eat in the van and I would make his sandwiches for lunch. I'm far too soft ;)
Well we had a great day out and you can see by the smile in the photos that he did too. He always loves riding the tandem and I knew he would be fine once he was out. He loved the ride all along the river and canals all over Inverness and really liked that there were other children on the ride.
Another great ride out with the group and anytime any of the macretros wish to join us now we can travel then you would be made more than welcome and I am also sure you would have a blast.

Jamie

11 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr1

Brian on his Dawes Cougar, great setup.
IMG_5344 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Happy Stoker
IMG_5346 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Group shot
IMG_5347 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5352 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5355 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5357 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Took advantage of the good weather and a child free day to head up to Ballater for a loop of Heartbreak Ridge. Been 2 years since my last trip and was well worth the journey. Trail was the driest I’ve ever seen it and the trail association work on the lower section was great. Some sections are victims of their own popularity, seeming to get wider every time I ride it. Why can’t people just ride the trail obstacles instead or going round them?
Rode another trail on the opposite side called Mastermind which was right on the outer edge of my comfort zone. Steep, tight, dusty and loose. Most of the individual corners would be ok on their own, but very sustained and intense riding. Struggled to get the bottle to go fast enough to get them to flow together. Upper body struggled too, but a 25kg ebike is not the easiest to hustle round switchbacks.
Really enjoyed the day, good to get back into proper mountains again.
F6C7EAE9-C19F-4E24-8FEF-50F0E1B014CE.jpeg E567A54C-78D1-48DA-AE84-8478A76D3D71.jpeg

Took advantage of the good weather and.... oh no, wait that was Clubby😆 But I also headed to Ballater today to ride "Heartbreak Ridge" for the first time (apparently from Monday its closed for a few weeks for trail maintenance), and to see what the route to Mount Keen was like from the Ballater side (short answer = sh*te!).
After pushing up most of the climb out of Ballater (the Joy's of single speed!) I headed off on a track to Mount Keen, which basically involved more pushing, negotiating the various streams criss-crossing the moorland, and falling into boggy swamps. Lovely.
By the time I'd almost reached the foot of Mount Keen I'd been slogging it out for nearly 2 hours, about 10 minutes of which was actual riding! I have to say the big hill did look quite imposing, with its snow covered sides and the top shrouded in cloud, and the distant track winding it's way upwards. At this point I decided I was definitely NOT! going up there today, no way was I pushing uphill for another hour and a half-ish only to have a view of feck-all from the top! Yeah the cloud might clear in a few hours, but Mount Keen will still be there another day.
So I retraced my route and headed up to the start of Heartbreak Ridge, which mercifully was mostly rideable in the one cog😀

The trail itself is long, very long for mostly downwards, I found myself grabbing a few seconds on the saddle to rest my legs whenever I could.
The section of rock slabs just before entering the tree line was "interesting", more a case of holding on than worrying about speed.

So some stunning scenery in fantastic weather, crappy route choices, and a trail with a sting in the tail to finish off with.
You're right Clubby, it's good to be back into the mountains again. 🙂

20210424_075122.jpg

20210424_080456.jpg after 2 hours slogging away pushing the bike I felt like joining this poor guy... 20210424_082546.jpg
20210424_090104.jpg 20210424_085115.jpg 20210424_101353.jpg 20210424_095735.jpg

That “path” used to be rideable. I’ve done it once many years ago in autumn after a very dry summer. Back then (and maybe now) there were marker posts hammered into the moor to show the best way. Was possible to ride from post to post. Shame that the top is so boggy, as once across it the path down into Glen Tanar was fantastic.
Best way to do Keen from the north is straight up Glen Tanar, or head over the Fungle into Glen Esk and head back over the shoulder of Mt Keen.

The slab section of Heartbreak is a mind game. I’m ok until the final couple of corners and the exposure gets the better of me. The rock is so grippy but big consequences if it goes wrong. Seen video of a mate going otb on one of the steps.

Got an eye on another loop up that way starting at Finzean, heading part way up the Fungle and back to the Aboybe trails. Hoping this weather holds although first half of May looking busy for work.

Yeah the posts are still (mostly) there, going towards Keen was a no-go in 32:18, and the part of the descent into the next glen that I did was pretty good although I was taking it easy as an OTB in the middle of nowhere could quickly turn into a "situation".
Coming back was better, following the markers, but theres hidden dips and trenches to catch you out, so it's still fairly slow going.

Give me a shout if you're headed out that way next month. I think we can meet up for socially distanced rides now? As long as we don't touch each other? Or something like that? 😆

It looks great guys and certainly the views are fantastic. Maybe once we get out of the restrictions a while then you two might hold a ride down that way as it looks like a great ride. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be up for it.

Jamie

Back