Should I buy my first vintage road bike?

Heavy

Retro Guru
Having only had a road bike (modern) for the last 18 months, my knowledge is hugely limited, so forgive my ignorance.

I like older stuff and have numerous old mtb, and wish my road bike could take wider tyres to deal with a bit of light gravel. I've seen an early 60s Viking which is really tempting me, but feel that if I left the gearing period correct, I'd rarely pull that bike out of the rack, so some sort of update might be on the cards. Also, I'm unsure about tyre choice for a bike of this vintage - I believe it has good clearance, but what about wheel size etc.

Any advice around these issues? Cheers.

That's such a broad question.
What are you looking for from the bike?
Something beautiful to sit on the mantlepiece? A heavy butchers bike? Something to take to the shops?

A curly Hetchins is a different ballpark to a retired postie's bike.

Oh - and the answer is "yes".

Buy a nice older frame and slink a load of 10spd at it!

Well, I did anyway

file.php

Re:

Thanks both. :)

I found out that the answer is 'Yes!' :shock: Just bought a 1962 Viking Conquest - it's a complete, dismantled bike. My question was quick and vague because I was rushing as the bike had been reduced and I was sure it'd sell.

My current road bike is a Spa Cycles Audux ti, which i really like, but i'd like to incorporate some local cycle network routes on some rides and a wider tyre will help I think (the Spa takes max 28mm).

Anyway, we'll see how this pans out. :LOL:

Attachments

• Viking.jpg
    Viking.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 367
Re:

Ah I see I am a bit late adding a note of caution :facepalm:

I would have gone mid 70's because top racing frames were mostly running sprint (Tubular) rims by then, which you can transplant 700c wheels into, there is a great likelyhood that the frame you have bought would have been running 27x1and1/4 wheels which are slightly larger, wheels are getting harder to get hold of and you are more limited to the tyres you can buy for them too. As I am finding out at the moment :facepalm:

Re:

The fella I've bought it off said the wheels but either size? (I did say my knowledge is limited :-/ )

Re:

You can fit 700c but the length of the brakes will have to be longer and there is only so far you can go ;)

Re: Re:

Heavy":qfvsedxa said:
I can sense a steep learning curve heading my way :D

Well you are in good company ;) :D If you have the original wheels it shouldn't be too bad just the tyre choice will be limited, looking forward to seeing more of the parts and frame.

Re:

Just had a quick Google of the parts with it - seems a bit of a mish-mash - seems like original stem & bars, a campag chainset, 80s Sachs gears, and weinmann brakes. Not sure about em the wheels. I only paid £60 for it - I'm hoping it'll look good with excessively battered original paint, but we'll see ounce I pick up.

Back