Sending disc brakes via royal mail

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Flogged off a set and now i have to post them.

i remembered something about sending restricted items, which would obviously include corrosive liquids like hydraulic fluid found in said brakes.

But i wasnt sure so googled it

the results are , well theres not a lot of info on them actually being restricted. A few horror stories but those when it came down it it contained pressurized containers,which brakes arent. Sealed yes but not pressurized :?

More googling and still thing. No definitive answer. STW has several threads, but all in some way relate to a single horror story about a rear shock being destroyed (or auctioned funnily enough, seems theyre too dangerous to deliver but ok to store in a big lot till they get sold off)

So there seems only one sure way to sort this and thats to do what every poster on this subject has clearly failed to do:
Tomorrow im going to phone the royal mail to find out 100% for sure.

Re: Sendingg disc brakes via royal mail

Officially, they won't take corrosive like batteries. I think they officially don't take liquids too. I have sent 'bike parts' by avid, hope and magura by royal mail with no issues. What they don't know can't hurt them. As long as it doesn't leak, no problem. Alternatively use a courier like hermes, same price and take just about anything.

Re:

Never bothered looking into this, have sent some recently, when asked, I just declared them as bike parts. No fuss, no problems.
Think your over concerning yourself:)

Re: Sending disc brakes via royal mail UPDATE#1

mechanical_vandal":2meq7iey said:
Royal Mail delivered a litre of Shimano Mineral Oil to me...

Thats mineral oil, which you could probably drink :LOL: The other stuff is corrosive hydraulic fluid, drink that and youre done for :shock:

UPDATE

Just off the phone with royal mail dangerous goods team.

Sending new OR 2nd hand disc brakes of the hydraulic variety is OK within the UK. :D

However- The actual conversation nearly ended at a mistake
as we were finishing the operator said ' so theyre not a hydraulic or anything'
:shock:
So i said Hang on, yes they are. the brake is hydraulic so therefore contains hydraulic fluid but it is sealed in and it is not a pressurized system, it is sealed only.
She said that was fine too but the fact there was the initial 'so theyre not hydraulic or anything' so i feel we need absolute clarification and got a direct email address from them where i can send them some pics and so references or links to the company who makes them.
a bit of a hassle but worth the effort i think.

Re:

very thorough, but not really needed, thousands of sets of new and used disc brakes have been sent by Royal Snail over the years, I've sent several, and not once have I had any issues or problems.
I don't mind telling them exactly whats in the packages, they consult their sheet of disallowed items, and give the thumbs up everytime.

Just send the brakes in the post...

Re:

Makes you laugh, some big online bike shops wont include a couple of co2 cannisters in a big box of bits, yet via ebay I can receive a box of ten 16oz, all rattling around like a clanking box of clanking bits clanking away merrily with the postie oblivious. :facepalm:

twain":22wjminc said:
i just received a set of 'ready to ride' XT disc brakes.
no problemos...

Aye. The danerous goods team confirmed it was ok and ive sent 2 since so when the 2nd arrives that will confirm it for me.

jimo746":22wjminc said:
Just send the brakes in the post...

I nae sure if this means jim will be putting his hand in his pocket for some compo if it went wrong :?

:?

dazdc5":22wjminc said:
Makes you laugh, some big online bike shops wont include a couple of co2 cannisters in a big box of bits, yet via ebay I can receive a box of ten 16oz, all rattling around like a clanking box of clanking bits clanking away merrily with the postie oblivious. :facepalm:

Which makes their whole argument bizarre as its compressed items that has them concerned'
which is fair enough as compressed air is pretty dangerous, but make the policy appear haphazard

Back