SBDU Raleigh Maverick Pro

Thats Raleighs attempt at a 'proper' mountain bike and one of the last gasps of the SBDU unit

Please dont do anything drastic as there are not many left in original condition.

View attachment 604916
I can confirm that it seems 100% original, unmolested loveliness. However much it won't get used for anything more off-road than a little gravel and "it's my bike to do what I please with" , I don't want to mess with it much, and will make sure any mods are easily reversible. The paint is lovely, and I want to keep it that way, too.

Modifications I am considering include swapping the wheels for SA hub brake/gears/dynamo. Although a lot heavier than what would be coming off, I think they would suit the intended usage of the bike. I also have a porteur rack that matches the rear carrier perfectly that may get fitted, and Veloorange mudguards because the ones on it don't fit very well (though seem to be original) and the rear one is rather short. I've got a Brooks mattress saddle on one of my other (soon for sale) Mavericks that I would like to put on here. It is comfy and suits the bike well IMHO. The final modification is possibly changing the handlebars for some albatross-y bars that came on an acquisition yesterday. I've not had a good look yet, but they seem to be some fairly vintage Sakaes, and I might try them, at least (fairly hassle-free with the top-loading Nitto stem). Oh, and wider tyres, of course, as these are about the same width as the ones on my 501 Pioneer Trail...

But, I may end up leaving it on the original wheels/brakes/gears/bars because it's so original and complete, and part of me really doesn't want to mess with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I suppose it is time I posted a photo. It needs the cables tidying up (need to source some clips) and these SA wheels are a trial to see if the concept works before I get some built up with better rims, spokes and a front brake/dynamo and rear brake/5 (or 8 )speed hubs, but I have to say it seems to be working out exactly as I wanted. Brakes are smooth and reliable if not lock-up material, but that's absolutely fine by me. Very pleased. :) 279678240_10159595402606488_4749774041583651211_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back