Saved from the skip! 90’s Marin

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Picked this off of the scrap metal pile at a local school where we work now and again. It was left abandoned in the bike sheds for some years and was on its way to recycling.. I couldn’t let that happen!
My plans are a bare bones budget rebuild (£20-30) to get this clean and functional, servicing what’s there and dipping in to my spares cache..
Anyone else out there rescued something too good to go in a bin?
I’ll keep this updated as I go through it, should make a good pub/winter bike.

Attachments

• C9691881-5EB1-4104-B5D6-D3EA5AE70CF8.jpeg
    C9691881-5EB1-4104-B5D6-D3EA5AE70CF8.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 673
Re:

Well saved! Pre-Covid time tip saves were what I enjoyed building most. However have still managed to save a couple of bikes from a very sorry end lately.

They ride far better than they ought to for the money!
Slick it up, add mudguards and you have a perfect bike to run errands, go to the pub etc.

Re: Re:

MR OX":12xbpnw5 said:
Well saved! Pre-Covid time tip saves were what I enjoyed building most. However have still managed to save a couple of bikes from a very sorry end lately.

I love how this stuff just lasts..
What’s been your best save to date?

Re:

That's a hard one there's been so many! My favourite is probably my Clockwork (in my signature) However it's certainly not the best condition / spec'd bike I've stumble across. Where my workshop is there are several house clearance guys who pre-Covid would offer me bikes too :facepalm:
From the fancy to the low end I just love saving them, weather I rebuild them or just find a new home that will. I hate to see a bike with potential go to waste, especially if it's survived 20+ years.

mk one":sheeerlf said:
Nice find, deserves to live.

+1 These were made properly. I see these at my local recycling centre in North Lindon from time to time but the staff there rack them up but wont let them go. Dunno where they eventually end up.

Re:

I agree, too many of these seem to go to the tip. I remember seeing these back in the day and lusting after them - with the two tone colour scheme.
Stripped it down last night and surprise surprise - the seat post is well and truly stuck. That should keep me busy over the weekend. :(

Attachments

• 30107A83-7A86-45A3-8741-B9257D49F923.jpeg
    30107A83-7A86-45A3-8741-B9257D49F923.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 521
Re:

Agreed, always loved the look or that frame finish. It would look cool on a Ti frame too.

Back