ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I’ve ridden a few saddles but the most comfortable has to be a toss up
Between a Brooks - (both Team pro and B17) and the XLite Kevlar saddle.
The Brooks has that lovely ‘give’ when broken in it just feels so good comfortable and forgiving
The XLite has this superb layer of padding coupled with a very good shape and enough flex and give to make it my favourite modern(ish) saddle. It’s also very light weight and looks superb
Brooks on the other hand has that weight issue which I can’t have especially when trying hard to lose weight on other parts (on the bike I’m currently seeking the right saddle for )

I was wondering what in your experience has been the best combination of light weight and comfort?
I was looking for something to replace a Flite Ti for the bianchi I have - I guess I want something Italian and something sort of higher end to go with the build - a Ritchey would do nicely - been looking for a Ti railed WCS vector - I’d have looked for and bought an XLite in a heartbeat but I guess it wouldn’t suit the bike build

And the xlite saddles look good also. I have an xlite I bought recently, well it's being sent to me after Xmas. I remember them as being comfortable.

Not really up on saddle weight but my most comfortable saddle has the word 'lite' in it & is Italian. A Selle SMP Lite 209. My 2nd most comfortable is also 'Italian' & a bit heavier - a Brooks Cambium Carve C17.

Re:

The most comfy and lightweight saddle I've owned is a use carbon pro. Carbon base, ti rails, leather cover tge sane as used in bugstti interiors. I have 3 as I like them that much.

Another very comfy and pretty light saddle iirc is the wtb sst-2k. I'd have another tomorrow if I could find one.

I did run a selle italia slr 135g for a while. Comfier than you'd expect for such a minimal saddle, but saddles are very personal and ones mans sofa is another man's razor blade.

I dunno what just happened to my post which has disappeared but I've found the Cambium to be delicious - a bum-hammock of great comfort with slim style. If they comes with Ti rails for light weight and the right width is bought I would recommend. My LBS leant me one to try for a deposit which was a no-brainer. Have one on my tourer, nut-ache-free support with give and comfort and I think would look good on a retro MTB or any bike. Longest ride I've done in one go was the Dunwich Dynamo, to find I had to do another 40 miles to Stowmarket to get a train, with no pain. Nice saddle.

Re:

Saddles are a bit subjective, it really depends which shape and width fits your butt best.
But I've found the Selle Italia Turbomatic 2 (with Ti rails) to be a great mix of comfort and light weight.

Thanks for the responses
I’ll have a look at those saddles
But as mentioned they’re quite subjective and Could turn into an expensive sortie into finding the right one - as looks and suitability with the build are of course also important
I used to really like the WTB SST98 then when I bought another one a few years later and used it extensively it was quite uncomfortable. Weird.

Any experience with a San Marco Rolls or Selle Bassano Excalibur?
I guess the Rolls is Brooks like heavy!

Re:

+1 for Brooks cambium - its soooo personal to size fit etc. But I’ve tried a lot of different ones in recent years, fabric, scoops, ALM (lightest and ok comfort), flites, etc. and I’d now never not go for a c13 carve, 145mm width for the sporty ride and 158mm for touring as give a bit more support and little less back ache for me over 100km. Just best combo of comfort and weight.

Re:

I don’t have a the carbon Cambium but have a few of the normal C17 and they are the most comfy saddles out of the box I’ve tried. They are quite flexy on the wing but stay pretty solid along the centre, I don’t know if this helps. I have a C15 as well but for commuting/touring prefer the wider one.

Obviously the Cambium isn’t period correct, but I also got on with the Turbo Lite too, and normal Turbos.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/c17.html
This the C17?
Out of curiosity - is it padded or a layer of rubber as in a layer of leather as on the Brooks B17?
And it’s made in England or Italy ?
I think I’m inclined towards this now - not bothered about period correct though of course it should suit the build (my Bianchi Ti) put off by the weight!
And Roly - have you any links?

Back