Rockshox Carbon Judy Info

Re:

Ha! Yeah, time spent on the bike are indeed mindful minutes Spudly! TBH, you were very close with dual crown description.

They are indeed my set I’ve got for sale on the bay. I’ve got somebody in the US offering me £650 and it tickled my curiosity about their provenance again.

FYI, I’ve messaged Paul Iddon’s son this morning to see if he/they would be interested.

Currently in the midst of a 90s hybrid build on an obscure alloy hardtail frame with Kooka, Magura and other bits I can lay my hands on in boxes at home.

Cheers

Re:

Wouldn't these just be Specialized Judy FSX XL (or XLC)
Why DHO?

XL and XLC was the name of the dual crown Judy forks at this sort of time.
And the FSX lowers are a specialized requested carbon Judy lower.

Edit I should quantify that.
DHO had a big axle clamp thing and hub, though of the FSX 95/96 era,
The XL/XLC had a normal axle, though just after the FSX era.

Re:

So am I, I've heard the firestarter kit mentioned before and don't know of the year.

Is it twin cartridge, one cartridge or even later and twin hydrocoil inside.

The barcode sticker will just be a Judy FSX sticker, generic looking rockshox thing, been much like that since the MAG forks.

Re:

I believe they are circa ‘96 Fluffychicken. Re the barcode; that’s why I couldn’t pull anything up on the Rock Shox trailhead website or from SRAM directly as there isn’t a serial number on the crown (not a Rock Shox one anyway).

If I wasn’t currently building a “bum in air” hardtail to hack about on the roads with, they’d be going on there instead of for sale. Originally I’d planned to put them on my Kona Stab frame I was planning on building, however, I sold that to a really nice chap called Chris who wanted to build his bike from his childhood.

Cheers

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":pixkp8xc said:
So am I, I've heard the firestarter kit mentioned before and don't know of the year.

Is it twin cartridge, one cartridge or even later and twin hydrocoil inside.

The barcode sticker will just be a Judy FSX sticker, generic looking rockshox thing, been much like that since the MAG forks.

TBH, I’m unsure of the setup within as I’ve never cracked them open in the circa 10 years I’ve had them.

Re: Re:

Carlos Da Silva":lh88yv6c said:
Pic for info

From my tracking of the serial numbers they jumped from A to B some time in 1996. I have had some 1996 SL forks with A9XXXXX serial numbers and some with B0XXXXX numbers.
I have also had some 1997 forks with starting around B7XXXXX.
I would guess they switch to the B's in early 1996 and ran the Bs until 97 then eventualy switch to the longer serial numbers.

Anyone know why the FSX came in both glossy and matte finished carbon?

While we are on the subject of serial numbers anyone know why some of the forks have different groups of numbers. For example I have had a few with XXX-AX-XXXXX. I have that on both the FSX and XC forks. My guess is they were warranty replacement, but only a guess. Does anyone have a better guess?

Re:

Really appreciate the info kokies; thank you.

I’ve been in contact with Paul Iddon’s son; I’ve heard back from him to say that Paul will be in touch with me. Will be great to find out quite a bit more history straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

So mine likely a 1995 model then

my other set don’t have a serial number sticker on, and have significantly more travel 🤔

1EF74835-72AD-4756-B712-DBF360747187.jpeg

Attachments

• 5A9D2185-9CF9-4F4E-B714-5C0293919F0C.jpeg
    5A9D2185-9CF9-4F4E-B714-5C0293919F0C.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back