Road bike beyond repair ?

Afternoon night-owl. I'm in over in Basildon on Wednesday, could I pick it up in the afternoon?
It's very good of you to offer it up, it'd be a really nice project.
cheers
Richard
No problem at all, send me a PM and I will pass on my address.
I think they'd be GB Maes bars, the map is usually of Britain, contemporary with the bike's age.
Yes it is a British map, thank you

I took it to the bike shop who basically said it's about equivalent of a £300 bike of today's standards
See.. (neither wishing to impute bad motives to the bike shop, nor to interfere with your arrangement with five Sixteenths,) this is what I mean about bike shops. Assuming your dad bought the parts that make up that bike new in the 60s, just the frame on its own would have cost him the contemporary average weekly wage, or something close to it, and that would've been perhaps a quarter of the cost of the whole machine. The average weekly wage for 2020 was reputedly £560.

Hi Torqueless,

Thank you for your input,

I totally agree the bike shop had little interest but i have little skill in bikes and feel it would be left to rot in my hands. Therefore offering up to a member of the forum hopefully insures that it will be looked after and may be used again. Certainly I would expect that if the bike was something really special and was worth significant monetary value, someone on the forum would point that out to me. So I came to the conclusion it's just a very nice bike that deserves to be looked after in a good home rather than left rotting in the garage.

Hello, I have visited a family member today who likes doing things up and wants the bike, clearly family comes first so I am giving the bike to them. Apologies to fivesixteenths.

Will do torqueless, he restores lots of things and very well. It's his retirement hobby. I will post some photos when done. Thank you all

Back