Ringle Bubba Freewheel Hub question.

I wouldn't mess around with freewheels at all. M900 came out in 92 for factory teams and 93 for retail. Super8 bubba hubs followed soon after that I think. If I was putting together a bike as nice as your adroit sounds I would spend the little extra and get it how it would have been built at the time and at that time freewheels had been put out to pasture. You could get a used m900 cassette since you are not riding it for little money and clean it up really nice. That cassette was one of the best features for the new xtr group. I think I would cringe every time I walked by the bike if it had a sunrace freewheel on it. A little more work and money but I think it will be well worth it in the end. Your spokes will probably be close enough to reuse so you just need a rear hub or hub set the cassette.

The Ringles will look sweet though ;)

You could sell the Ringle hubbed wheels and buy some M900 hubbed ones. You'd likely be quids in as well.
I've just checked eBay.co.uk and there are two nice pairs of M900/ Mavic wheel sets on there right now.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Bitd I ran 8speed Sachs Aris blocks on Paris Dakkar and Bullseye hubs.The indexing was solid in a clunky way but it was tolerable as I used XT thumbies.Shimano saw blocks as old hat so were only available in 7 speed on low end groups.I wouldve loved a HG 8 speed block but they simply werent available.Nowadays blocks are still specced on low end bikes but 8 speed ones are common and Im sure an 8 speed HG block could be got for peanuts and should give far smoother shifting than the Sachs.TBH I was never happy with the Sachs blocks on my bikes.

JonSus":3azyq90l said:
I wouldn't mess around with freewheels at all. M900 came out in 92 for factory teams and 93 for retail. Super8 bubba hubs followed soon after that I think. If I was putting together a bike as nice as your adroit sounds I would spend the little extra and get it how it would have been built at the time and at that time freewheels had been put out to pasture. You could get a used m900 cassette since you are not riding it for little money and clean it up really nice. That cassette was one of the best features for the new xtr group. I think I would cringe every time I walked by the bike if it had a sunrace freewheel on it. A little more work and money but I think it will be well worth it in the end. Your spokes will probably be close enough to reuse so you just need a rear hub or hub set the cassette.

Well I think you make a good point. But I thought the M900 was available for retail already in 1992. And the Supereight late 93, or possible 94? The 1993 Ringlé catalogue says the Superbubba is sold separately or paired with a rear Bubba Hub.

My Adroit is an early 1992(with the 27,2 mm Seat post). And I am doing my best to keep the build period. Using Ringlé hubs I think "Bubbas" is the only option. So using Ringlé until 93/94 should have meant combining it with a freewheel. The Ringlé catalogue recommends Sachs.
However, it is really really bad that I have the 7-speed Bubba.
I asked a shop in the US, and they said it should fit the 8-speed anyway. It is all very confusing.

Esthetically Im going for all black parts for the build, so XTR hubs are not an option.

Minifreak":3rewl78j said:
The Ringles will look sweet though ;)

You could sell the Ringle hubbed wheels and buy some M900 hubbed ones. You'd likely be quids in as well.
I've just checked eBay.co.uk and there are two nice pairs of M900/ Mavic wheel sets on there right now.

Wow, that is the rear you built up? You run the Superbubba front/Bubba rear combination, looks great!!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Minifreak":1zothrfd said:
Sweet eh ;)

Keep the Ringles! They'll be perfect on your Klein.

Yes I really like the look. What 8-speed freewheel do you have there? Would it be possible to post a pic that shows the cassette a bit more?

Back