Rim restoration - missing eyelets

Supratada

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am in the process of restoring a Raleigh Record Sprint and I’ve been looking at the wheels today. The original Weizmann concave rims are naturally worn on the braking surfaces and I’d like to get them re-powder coated . A couple of the eyelets have failed and dropped out also.
Should I mask off the concave bit to cover the eyelets and get someone to powder coat the rims, will it match, will our braces lock together, will my stomach growl?

Or, can you get replacement eyelets? Take them all out , powder coat and refit?
Bike will be a ceiling hanger so re-wearing off the braking surfaces won’t matter.

Also, who does correct gumwall 700c x 20mm tyres?

I cannae find that. I have however found some NOS HI-Lites, which is nice.

Regarding eyelets, seems not practical to remove and replace, as no one makes them. I could scrub them up to clean them, then figure out some way to mask them during the powder coat process. Maybe brass cup washers with bolts, lots of bolts, 72 in fact, to ask as masks. Hmm, seems excessive.

I think paint would show up as different on close inspection. A different lustre.
I ain't not never seen no glass fibre pen before not neither. Good tip though thanks, one has been purchased.

Back