Retroism......why?

View attachment 701507He is right. Raleigh superb tops out at 56 lbs. Can't even... View attachment 701506
This guy I was talking to is a landscape fencing contractor he is matter of fact and practical, I take the humorous point that yes perhaps old bikes to him means Raleigh catalogue bikes that weigh .. 56lbs apparently! But I need to swing by and let him have a quick blat up the road on my old Kona, see what 52 teeth on the old middleburn cranks and 26 wheels make it feel like, I find modern bikes sluggish if comfy, and that old kona weighs just under 24lbs... maybe it will be interesting for him..

This guy I was talking to is a landscape fencing contractor he is matter of fact and practical, I take the humorous point that yes perhaps old bikes to him means Raleigh catalogue bikes that weigh .. 56lbs apparently! But I need to swing by and let him have a quick blat up the road on my old Kona, see what 52 teeth on the old middleburn cranks and 26 wheels make it feel like, I find modern bikes sluggish if comfy, and that old kona weighs just under 24lbs... maybe it will be interesting for him..
Can you post a picture of the Kona ?

I think what surprises me about this lad, who's a really decent fella is that he seems to be almost totally blinkered into assuming that old bikes/tech is crap (which some is as we all know) without even riding it.

I guess its watching GCN & GBMN 🙂
GCN and GBMN are indeed shills for any pricy new jimmydidoo and will happily tell frightful folktales of the mythical death traps people rode yonks ago, and how it'd be better to get yourself a brand new electric shifting hub motored 190mm travel 32 inch wheeled gargoyle

Most of the yoof are listening to 80/90s music according to SM videos. The best of retro would still cost a fortune to get remade today. Gravel bikes are in and many just copy iconic retro designs because they are still ‘cool’. The way things are going in Oxford and Canterbury I have a feeling original retro bikes will become a must have to be seen on in 2/3yrs 😉

Didn't want to add to the thread as there is already plenty of great replies to a fantastic discussion thread! But my age considered might be a worthy opinion.

I'm 27 so nostalgia isn't in it for me. It for me comes down to leisure. I will only put age appropriate kit on my retro bikes as it seems a good way to pay homage to that bike, similarly if I was to buy a classic car or retro computer, I would only restore them and use them as they were intended to be used at the time.

There is a time and place for mixing and matching in my opinion especially on bicycles, I think this should be when you require the extra comfort, heck if I was building a bike for my father, while I would start with a retro base, I would want a remote lock out on the front shock and a 1x9/ 1x8 system to keep it nice and simple, he doesn't ride but when he does I would want him to enjoy the experience so he would do it again.

Why the heck are people retro-modding early 90s frames with late 90s suspensions and V-brakes is beyond me. Keep them period correct, look at the catalogues and see the sort of stuff in use.
If it's a Kona, black wall tyres are a must, everyone else should be using Amber walls.

And just keep risers off your bikes unless you're building an 80s bike or late 90s DH inspired bike (or a JMC replica).
And keep away from that modern shite.

Have fun and enjoy the ride... and the build and the fettling thinking one day you'll ride it.
Make them yours.
P1090448.jpg

I was riding MTB in the 90s. I buy bikes I couldn't afford/attain back then, so it's all nostalgia, and my bikes are period correct (not catalogue correct). TBH, I'm not a fan of retromods, I don't see the point.

If I want to go for a hard ride, I ride a modern bike, as they're better.

You do you.

Most of the yoof are listening to 80/90s music according to SM videos. The best of retro would still cost a fortune to get remade today. Gravel bikes are in and many just copy iconic retro designs because they are still ‘cool’. The way things are going in Oxford and Canterbury I have a feeling original retro bikes will become a must have to be seen on in 2/3yrs 😉
What's going on in Oxford and Canterbury?

Back