Retrobike Touring.

Bikepacking rig fettled & tuned for the summer. 2002 Orange P7. Sticky rear mech overhauled, new limit screws on front mech (swapped for grub screws). Gutted to find the XTR m952 middle chainring delaminated & corroded. Grannie ring corroded as well. Same but 2nd hand, excellent replacement crankset fitted. Put on a small Alpkit bar bag. I don't like big bags on the bars hence the front rack. Thinking of getting an Alpkit Stingray frame bag. May also go back to hydraulic rather than cable disc brakes. Got it's old Hope Mono's I may overhaul.

1000011070.jpg

Bikepacking rig fettled & tuned for the summer. 2002 Orange P7. Sticky rear mech overhauled, new limit screws on front mech (swapped for grub screws). Gutted to find the XTR m952 middle chainring delaminated & corroded. Grannie ring corroded as well. Same but 2nd hand, excellent replacement crankset fitted. Put on a small Alpkit bar bag. I don't like big bags on the bars hence the front rack. Thinking of getting an Alpkit Stingray frame bag. May also go back to hydraulic rather than cable disc brakes. Got it's old Hope Mono's I may overhaul.

View attachment 853268
Ha, just did some fettling too for our little tour in the next days...
IMG_20240527_141702.jpg

My 1994 708 Raleigh Randonneur, this is my go to tourer really. I've used my Carrera Tanneri for shorter tours but for this distance the Randonneur is better. We're touring in east Sussex at the moment. Jo found a nice self contained air BnB. Did 60 miles yesterday I had 18.5 kg on. This is the furthest Jo has ridden, I'm very proud she did it and I was able to draft her for a few miles.

We stopped at Tesco's to stock up for food about 3 miles from our destination. Jo took most in her panniers we'd left empty for this. I took the overspill. I could really notice the extra weight.

We averaged 10mph which considering the headwind we were both pleased with. A very nice ride with good weather. The pictures are from our training runs.

Jo took pictures, I'll get her to post them later.
Edit, just realised I've posted a road bike in the MTB section. I can remove it if it's a problem.

IMG_20240508_163036329.jpg IMG_20240430_111926434_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Back