Retrobike Touring.

Yep, no problem. I'm running 36-spoke Mavic 231CD with M650 rear hub on my tourer, simply because I haven't worn them out yet!

For heavy loads I have a set of Rigida Rally on M732 (again 36) with the heaviest DT spokes, but I haven't used them much.

I avoid 8 speed or up as the hub flanges are closer so giving more dish.

Spa Cycles also sells Exal SP19 rims which are about the same profile and weight as Sputniks but I found them nicer to build with, maybe the angle of the spoke hole drilling. Also they look nice and are £15 each.

Excuse the terrible lighting. This is my nominated Shopping/Touring bike.

B8CD8CC2-B2D6-4869-A92E-779EBEA32568.jpeg

It happens to be my old race bike from back when I had a waist. The Saracen way back then was a shorter top tube combined with a flat 150mm stem. Fitting a shorter, bouncy stem has made it mor comfortable over distances. I have the Limpet system for the front wheel/forks which works very well.
I really want to get fitter over the winter and then plan a few short trips next year.

Bikes are in the house due to access through the garage being a must this week!

Just back from a few days touring in the Clyde and Inner Hebrides. The trip was triggered by my younger son doing a marine biology course on the Clyde - I then needed to find something to do in the meantime. My older son, just back from university was keen to join me on a tour. We took the Caledonian Sleeper up from London to Glasgow, it's well equipped for bikes with spaces for 10 on hanging racks.
Took the ferry from Ardrossan to Arran (Brodick) in pouring rain, which fortunately abated when we arrived. As we started the climb across Arran the sun came out.
53030678179_b6f22a3701_k.jpg

It turned into a beautiful afternoon riding the flat west coast of Arran northwards to Lochranza, where we had the treat of seeing 20-30 dolphins all jumping and splashing, along with seals on the shore.
53030898525_6267e16141_k.jpg

We stopped in the youth hostel in Lochranza.
53029923217_2e3bf51c12_k.jpg
[/url]
The following morning it started raining heavily the moment we left the hostel for the ferry ride from Lochranza to Colintrave on Kintyre, with a great view as the squall passed back to the mountains of Arran.
53029923377_f972efe506_k.jpg

Then it was a short but steep climb across Kintyre and a lovely descent to Kennacraig for the ferry to Islay. While the Calmac ferry ended up early, this was due to a reschedule of the whole timetable due to a ferry breakdown.
53030991263_182fab78d4_k.jpg

We had dramatic skies for the trip to Port Askaig on Islay and great views of Jura.
53030991198_6d76e26490_k.jpg

So a day with about 10 miles riding but two ferries got us to Port Askaig and our hotel, where we met a nice Danish guy called Soren, who was exploring Islay on a beautiful retro Carrera (the Italian one) which he had picked up at a Cash Converters in Glasgow. We fettled his Campag brakes and tweaked the Ergos for him, along of course with introducing him to Retrobike!
53030898625_3ff96a6aa3_k.jpg

The following day was rainy, and we headed off to Port Ellen to check out Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg distilleries, passing through Bowmore on the way. This is just by Ardbeg:
53030898615_1ce7f3cf61_k.jpg
[/url]
All in all a 50 mile round trip, largely in horizontal rain. However a 12 year old Lagavulin helps keep the spirits up.
The following morning we left at 0650 to ride to catch the Port Ellen ferry - it should have been from Port Askaig and a lie-in but the timetable change scotched that plan. About 3 miles before Port Ellen it was back to horizontal rain and the shoes I had managed to dry overnight were full of water again. Dripping in the waiting room we enjoyed chatting to some Americans touring on e-Bikes. It was a rainy and windy voyage back to Kennacraig, then a 45 minute ride to a windy but sunny Tarbert for the next ferry to Portavadie.
53030678209_50ff0b5413_k.jpg

53030991163_3a1527d1b7_k.jpg

A totally brutal climb from Portavadie across the Cowal Peninsula killed our enthusiasm to ride the longer route and we then dropped to Tighnabruaich to consume vast quantities of cake before coming to our B&B, run by a lovely Hungarian family.
53030898535_451d9f5028_k.jpg

The final day it was a big climb out and then along the side of the Kyles of Bute and Loch Ruel, dodging squalls and doing the familiar quick change in and out of waterproofs.
53030991103_4cb8cf5024_k.jpg

Arriving in Rothesay there was another Calmac ferry breakdown, but the helpful and friendly staff got us on board with a couple of seconds to spare, arriving in Port Wemyss for a short ride to Largs to meet my other son, then to Glasgow for the train home.

All in all a great trip. We were just before the midge season, but full waterproofs were definitely needed. Next time I'd bring overshoes too! Some of the climbs are brutal and the granny ring got a lot of use. You could easily do the trip on road bikes, although the roads are a bit patched and rough (but not really potholed) in places. The bikes have all featured upthread and I won't bother talking about them. There is a 5-ferries route of around 85 miles which leaves out Islay - it's a popular one for a day ride and we chatted with people on the ferries who were doing it on road bikes. It must be a long day, although a fun one. A final aside - drivers were really courteous and gave plenty of space. Obviously as it uses a lot of single track roads with passing places, you do have to stop to allow passing.

A fantastic tour indeed. I did plan a similar tour a few years ago but upon arriving in Arran I just explored there for a week instead. Like you we saw a pod of dolphins near Lochranza and otters on the beach opening shellfish, eagles, deer everywhere but the one that stopped us dead was a Scottish wild cat with kittens way up in the mountains off the string road. I need to plan another island hopping tour but hop further than Arran next time lol

A fantastic tour indeed. I did plan a similar tour a few years ago but upon arriving in Arran I just explored there for a week instead. Like you we saw a pod of dolphins near Lochranza and otters on the beach opening shellfish, eagles, deer everywhere but the one that stopped us dead was a Scottish wild cat with kittens way up in the mountains off the string road. I need to plan another island hopping tour but hop further than Arran next time lol

Please join us

I’m bumping this thread back towards the top of the list! I at least started to try and get fitter. A sudden interaction with the road surface has put it back a while but I’m still keen.
I have decided to theme a simple tour or two around Arthur Mee’s The King’s England series of books. I’m curious to see how much places have changed in the best part of 100 years.
I‘m thinking of replacing my very aged rear panniers with a Bob Yak trailer. A new tent would give a bit more room than the one person one I have.

Anyone got any firm 2024 plans?

That sounds interesting, I"ll have to have a look at those books ready for your debrief of the tour on here. I've never used a bike trailer but I have towed a tag along kids bike, I'm not sure I got much help in the pedalling department so probably similar to a trailer ? Good luck and fair weather to you sir.

For me, St.Bees to Robin Hoods Bay coast to coast off road ride over 7 days so not big mileage days. I've never done more than 5 or 6 hours off road so it should be a great escape. I'm thinking may/June time as there's half a chance of good weather. Ive got one of Restrap's bike packing type saddle bags just big enough for credit card touring, bought an extra weeks annual leave so I just need to look at accomodation. Hostels, B and B's, the odd pub, shorts, t-shirt, sun glasses.......I can't wait.
I do have a modern gravel bike but I fancy doing it on a retro mountain bike as it is classed as a mountain bike route and it will be more fun and relaxed on one. I was going to use my '97 hard tail Kona but I now have my first ever full suspension bike, a 2000 Marin so I"m not sure which would be best??? Has anyone on here done this ride?

Last edited:
Has anyone on here done this ride?
Yes. Well, we did it in 5 days, and quite a few years back. It was, interesting, not awful, but mostly not that much fun.

I won't go into detail but the route we followed was divided between being unridable because of the surface conditions/steepness of the mountain and pretty boring. Day one had us faffing about for too long at the B&B, getting lost immediately, deciding a leairurely 2 course lunch with a beer was acceptable barely 10 miles in and then carrying the bikes over Black Sail Pass, walking them down the other side and getting lost on a bog at 9pm with the hostel due to close at 10. We sacked off a lot of the prescribed route after that and had a much more pleasant time, there was still a lot of riding, and a lot of hills, and still quite a lot of bog but for the most part, and considering the areas you pass through and their potential for fun on a bike the actual 'mountain biking' (off road riding?) was meh. I actually had a great time in retrospect cos I was in the Countryside with my friends, but there are better, easier, more fun ways to do that than the coast to coast :)

Oops, I went into detail.

Back