Retro newcomer - which bike?

My first step would be to figure out what kind of bike you're interested in, then worry about the size, quality, condition.
That’s the problem, not sure what bike I should be looking for: reputable brand or bespoke model, lightweight, reliable, 10+ speed - but that still leaves a dazzling list of options. Maybe I should let fate/heart play its part and see what comes up? Just been looking at a Raleigh Quadra - seems to hit most of those buttons? Enjoying the hunt and appreciate everybody’s contributions!

With 60 cycling under your belt you could tell half the people on this forum what to buy! . Wind your mind back to the 1980's and remember some rides from back then. Some of them will be cheaper now. Some very much not!!
I had a 5 speed Carlton back in the late 70s and rode it from Warrington to South Wales and back (remember struggling on the hills in central Wales…). I think I paid £15 for it, secondhand, so maybe not cheaper now.…!?

I had a 5 speed Carlton back in the late 70s and rode it from Warrington to South Wales and back (remember struggling on the hills in central Wales…). I think I paid £15 for it, secondhand, so maybe not cheaper now.…!?

15 notes in the 1970's was quite alot of money.

I know a Lady who has her late husbands Raleigh Royal 531 tourer for sale . 28 cm / 23 1/2 c to t . It is in good overall condition .
Shimano components .
Near Ashbourne Derbys She is looking for £150

Money goes to prostate cancer .
Pm me for details

I know a Lady who has her late husbands Raleigh Royal 531 tourer for sale . 28 cm / 23 1/2 c to t . It is in good overall condition .
Shimano components .

Pm me for details
Great bikes own the 708 version and have had the 531.

Shimano components .

Pm me for details
Sounds like a good option but unfortunately it will be too large. I was once 5ft 10” but now struggle to hit 5ft 8” so I probably need a 20” frame (could maybe stretch to 21”, literally). Many thanks for the offer though! (Long term supporter of the charity too)

Sounds like a good option but unfortunately it will be too large. I was once 5ft 10” but now struggle to hit 5ft 8” so I probably need a 20” frame (could maybe stretch to 21”, literally). Many thanks for the offer though! (Long term supporter of the charity too)
I know someone that has a Hanson (South African builder) in 21" for sale paintwork is tired. Rare over here.

Back