Retro newcomer - which bike?

Ian J

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I’ve been cycling for 60+ years and have a number of bikes covering all needs but now want to venture into the field of retro (I had a Carlton as a teenager/student but it wouldn‘t have been retro in those days…!). I’m seeking advice on what bike to get, for starters. From the little research I’ve done so far, brand, components, frame material and of course condition seem to be the main considerations. I renovate vintage typewriters so would be happy to undertake some basic renovation. I’m based in Sheffield so have been looking at what’s on offer locally, for a budget of around £100. Possible contenders include a Concorde Colombo and a Raleigh Kellogg’s Pro Tour. I’ll probably call in to Universal Cycles at Maltby at some point. Their bikes will be outside my budget but I’m sure they will be really useful for parts and advice. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Have a look at bike jumbles and local small ads, often a few hidden treasures.
Many thanks - the two I’ve shortlisted are on Facebook marketplace but I’ll look into bike jumbles too. I’m struggling to spot the hidden treasures from the mass produced ‘tribute’ models (e.g. Raleigh Bananas)…but getting to know what Reynolds numbers to look for.

For Reynolds it's 531, 653, 753, 708. Then Columbus SL/SLX/SPX.
Indeed, a lot is knowing the features (cast dropouts, lugs etc) that separate the diamond in the rough from the dross.
If a frame of normal size is under 2kg then it's worth investigating. Lots of bike jumbles have a pile of unidentified, blasted decent frames which are worth reviving. Take a cheap set of luggage scales to check the weight and have fun!

Many thanks, really helpful. Would you exclude Reynolds 501 from consideration? Appreciate that it’s slightly heavier than 531 and more of a mid-range spec?

501 is fine, but you can do far better for a lightweight bike for not much more (most old 531 frames are £50-100 anyway). However for a tourer it may be a better choice as a stiffer frame is nicer when loaded up.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’ve been cycling for 60+ years and have a number of bikes covering all needs but now want to venture into the field of retro (I had a Carlton as a teenager/student but it wouldn‘t have been retro in those days…!). I’m seeking advice on what bike to get, for starters. From the little research I’ve done so far, brand, components, frame material and of course condition seem to be the main considerations. I renovate vintage typewriters so would be happy to undertake some basic renovation. I’m based in Sheffield so have been looking at what’s on offer locally, for a budget of around £100. Possible contenders include a Concorde Colombo and a Raleigh Kellogg’s Pro Tour. I’ll probably call in to Universal Cycles at Maltby at some point. Their bikes will be outside my budget but I’m sure they will be really useful for parts and advice. Any advice would be much appreciated!

With 60 cycling under your belt you could tell half the people on this forum what to buy! . Wind your mind back to the 1980's and remember some rides from back then. Some of them will be cheaper now. Some very much not!!

Back