One For the Forum Dads - First Proper Bike!

As for getting him to grow a pair and go hardtail, I proudly showed off the recently finished Marin, the Spesh (complete with first viewing of Dirt), 80% of a WTB Phoenix, and the bare bones of a Bontrager,

so you showed him a bike that was old and obsolete before he was even conceived and he wasn't interested? I'm shocked. :)

maybe this will help?

At the massive risk of sounding like my dad.....

I would shove the kid on a rigid bike and let them learn some skills. My 2 nephews went straight onto full suspension and the result is now 2 late teens, who cant ride a mountain bike to save their lives.....quite literally!

They use the bikes " skills" to bail them out constantly, as they crash blindly over stuff, drop of jumps with no thought to position or weight distribution.....its bloody horrid to watch.

When i pointed this out and told them their life would be easier / safer/ more comfortable, they went off to learn some stuff ( utube....you don't think it was going to be on a bike!😂). They came back to say they had learned how to "Manual".....ok....ive not seen this one......I had to get off the bike as i was in tears laughing when i realised that a "manual" is moving your weight back over the saddle for landing jumps and going over obstacles! Wow...REVOLUTIONARY.....

Rigid first, learn some skills, then use the advantages of full suspension if you must....

Luke.....i an your father!

Back