Retro-modern fusion gravel build madness. The new Superb!

Eyewatering prices.
Makes me want to cry as I fished out a Columbus-tubed Stella sx-76 frameset for a pal on ebay a wee while ago. In good condition with mint original campy bb and campy headset for £75 delivered :p

I know I'm about to lose a lot of forum credit, but I'm a sealed bearing guy. Was just going to shove one of these into the shell as deep as Franny can take it.

Is that a cheap-o Necco with French thread? If so sounds perfect !!!!

Within any cylindrical constraint (such as a bb shell) you're going to be using larger diameter balls with cup 'n' cone than you would with sealed bearings. Thats a good thing.

Reactions: Woz
Within any cylindrical constraint (such as a bb shell) you're going to be using larger diameter balls with cup 'n' cone than you would with sealed bearings. Thats a good thing.
Cup and cone is reliant on a perfect shell face and thread alignment, if not they will run poorly with a tight spot. You may not feel it, but it will wear unevenly because of it, this negates a marginally larger ball. I am referring to square taper not ext b/b. They run smoother, they are far better sealed and have no mis alignment issues. To each their own.

Reactions: Woz
Come on guys, chill. It's not about the size of your balls, it's how often you use them. :cool:

Can't say I've had much luck with external BB units though. Sealed square taper is just plug & forget for thousands of miles. I don't remember Shimmy hollowtechs lasting half as long, and my current Sram GXP has developed a minor knock (seems to come & go) after about 600 miles on my summer bike.

@M_Chavez we like comparing balls and comparing balls ups. It's what we do best :LOL:

Still don't get your bottom bracket set-up really.

Did some research on this and one elegant solution is the IRD Conversion Cups:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brackets/french-ird-bottom-bracket-conversion-cups/?geoc=FR

Further digging the IRD QBx bottom brackets use cartridge bearings 163110-2RS - so 31mm OD, 16mm ID and 10mm width.

The IRD bottom brackets are made by Tange, so high quality - but not cheap either and may probably not be worth the expense for this build, but if you have a cheaper bottom bracket like that Necco which uses the same cartridge bearing sizes I can't see why the IRD Conversion Cups wouldn't work. Just a suggestion.

Think x 2 BSC NDS cups and loads of PTFE tape could be workable bodge but far from elegant and probably not too reliable.

I believe this is the way to go. The 2nd hand cup and cone 35 x 1 FRA bottom brackets look either knackered, too old, probably need some weird extra tooling, and the price can be more expensive than the IRD Conversion Cups.

What I'm a bit miffed at, you would have thought a Frenchman working in a shed with all of the defunct tooling would be making Conversion Cups for a variety of BB systems so these frames can be kept a live. It's weird.

@Woz

I was just joking about double standards in the bike industry - the frame is French ds and nds, and so is the bottom bracket cartridge.
Got the French BB from ebay and the cups don't look as well-made as sjs ones (was not aware of them), but they were not as expensive either.

I think that the cups should be interchangeable across all square taper BBs (neco, tange, first, etc)? Or is that yet another are where the industry has come up with a million standards?

PS SJS website say they even stock swiss bb cups, although there's none available for sale. Good to know. Might come in handy one day.

@torqueless
Is there anyone stopping somebody in 2122 who is restoring 1950s mass-produced bikes from bumping the stays back to 116mm?
As ever I'm ahead of the times !
I've been bumping 135 down to 122 for a while now...does seem like harder work I got to say 😆

Oh dear ...sealed cartridge bottom bracket!?
You utter heathen..😆..wish I had the pics of how I fixed my old frenchies mullered bottom bracket ...push fit cottered sealed BB....you'd laugh it was a one shot wonder with a really meaty carver clamp whilst keeping an eye on chainline 🤨 but it works and miraculously it hasn't budged.
Your cracking on well chap this rate you'll be riding soon 👍

Back