Restoration of a Rock Shox Mag 21 Sl Ti including color

A quick update. Got a new Pure Power brake arch. Not fully happy but a way to go for now. But I need spacers for the brake springs as the arch is milled flat.
Any hints where to get them?

View attachment 744433
View attachment 744432
I had recently exactly same problem.
Most custom archs are completely flat.

Here are two links, hopefully German is OK
or
The latter has holes with a too big diameter. Maybe the seller, also active here, may be able to offer also one with smaller holes.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Very nice job, @coyut! I, too, have been on the long quest to restore some mag 21 SL's. See my thread here: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/bontrager-race-lite-rebuild-interesting-history.439410/

I agree the gold candy that your painter applied is a tad darker than the original stock finish....I'm not trying to be critical, as you mentioned it yourself, and I too am struggling with how to get the original look.

I first tried polishing the legs and then applying various rattle can applications of gold candy, but nothing looked right. Also, the raw magnesium starts to oxidize immediately, even if not visibly. In addition, the magnesium alloy used by Rock Shox must have been extremely prone to oxidation and off-gassing, because I eventually decided to powder coat the legs with Prismatic Powders Super Chrome II as the base before gold candy and the powder coaters told me that there was an abnormal amount of off-gassing (on two sets of legs that I did). At least with the powder coat, the corrosion will be eliminated or greatly retarded compared to the original method of candying the polished raw magnesium.

Next, I will be trying my hand with a compressor and paint gun to apply a thinned gold candy (SEM California Gold) to the legs. Should be ready to try it out in a few weeks. Wish me luck!

Did you prime polish and or prime the legs before powder coating? I’m reading that a zinc chromate etch primer is required, but if that’s on top of a mechanically polished leg, I’m assuming that will dull the finish before a top coat/lacquer?

The legs were mirror polished and then painted with clear gold. Not candy.
Candy colors require a black base coat.
It will be interesting to see how "my" legs will hold up. Right now they are still perfect.

Back