Removing an 1890s two piece crank.

More interesting stuff on the crank. The BB has pressed on dust covers that I got off with heat and a semicircular punch. Under the dust cover there was a leather seal. 1890s sealed bearings. They worked as there is no coarse sand in there, only waxy, dried and dirty grease. The seat post has no top hole and that helped keep sand out. Now my problem is to find snap ring pliers small enough to remove the internal expanding retaining ring. More tool shopping. This thing is a b|t€h. The fun goes on. C33CE927-09ED-45B4-B97C-52DDD9BA385F.jpeg

Definitely got your monies worth in the 1890s,I can see how it's being pain ...but that's not looking to bad in there 👍

Definitely got your monies worth in the 1890s,I can see how it's being pain ...but that's not looking to bad in there 👍
The leather seal on the other side is crumbled but I can trace the good one, sharpen pipes and punch out a new one from some leather I have floating around in my junk stash somewhere. I thought about using rubber but leather seemed to work well as a sealing gasket.

Going by the typeface I'd hazard an "8" ....

I hope all your bearing faces look that good 👍
Trying to get my head round the gear on this bike....what's the pitch of the chain used and crank length?
Well, the pedal bearing surfaces are shot. I have a NOS replacement set but new will really stand out from the aged theme. The pedal spindles are 1/2 inch, not 9/16. DCCC2297-297B-41C6-9439-4E172C66E6D4.jpeg 28536711-DC5A-42F6-BFE1-793AF08AB7C5.jpeg

Back