RBotM November 2020 - Theme - Tandems !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Colson Tandem 1930s

Jesper":cktsgcmw said:
Circa 1933-37, I believe. Not pretty I know, but what I call the "Marriage Counselor" because of the "dual steering" with lady's cockpit up front. Good communication is important! Odd front drive having an eccentric bottom bracket assy. with split bottom bracket shell "clamp" for front chain tensioning, skip tooth sprockets, rod/chain steering linkages. A work in progress; not a restoration, but a modification as I am attempting to design a side car for it since I've never seen a tandem with one. Original except grips, saddles, and pedals; missing mudguards, chain guard, frame stand, and headbadge.. Fully functional as it sets. Old photo, I do not know why bars are turned up; possibly after transporting.

Really interesting machine there! As a captain I'm not sure I'd want the stoker doing much steering though! :shock:

Heres another non-entry for you as I feel my 2006/7 Dawes isn't exactly a classic just yet. ;)

We bought this tandem in the summer and did a few day rides on it before embarking at the end of July on a week-long 700km tour down from Oxford to the south coast, along to the New Forest and back. It was a pretty amazing experience, very tough on the hilly days but incredible to do it all under our own steam and come out smiling still!

mrSoZRT.jpg

Top of Ringstead Bay, overlooking the Isle of Portland

NOmmd9x.jpg

and your truly in my customary role as map table and snack holder. :D

Re:

Fantastic!
Great posts everyone, much appreciated.
Tandem riders are a humble lot as all are non entries so far.

Jamie

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":3jq5ywuy said:
Fantastic!
Great posts everyone, much appreciated.
Tandem riders are a humble lot as all are non entries so far.

Jamie

OK - make mine an entry - and I've won!! :twisted: :roll:

Re:

One of the things my better half likes is the amount of unassuming rubber necking she can do .... The number of times I have heard they are nice curtains :LOL:

Plus, once when touring we had to find room for a hair dryer and that was after me saying just wash it in the morning and ride for a short way without your helmet on .
Later on....
Pouring with rain for most of a day ride during said tour . Never heard a sound after saying you are going to need that dryer .

pigman":1tbeucar said:
Any made or broken marriage stories? Lol

I’m pretty sure my marriage would have broken if I’d accepted Sherlylocks offer of one of his donor frames :facepalm:

Peachy!":3qp0rtwb said:
pigman":3qp0rtwb said:
Any made or broken marriage stories? Lol

I’m pretty sure my marriage would have broken if I’d accepted Sherlylocks offer of one of his donor frames :facepalm:

:LOL:

I've got enough spare bits now to make up a complete second tandem...... ;)

So I'll chuck an entry in for this - even though my tandem project is progressing at a glacial pace and is essentially a box of bits at this point in time. Obvs if this is bending the RBotM rules a little too much then no worries.

1939 Claud Butler Ultra Shortbase....

As bought:

qkX69VMh.jpg

gRroojxh.jpg

6 spd hybrid (3spd SA & 2spd cyclo derailleur), Resilion cantilever brakes, airlite tandem specific front hub, dunlop tandem rims, celluloid coated handlebars. Nickel plated frame with chrome forl ends/crown and rear dropouts.

Project thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=419963

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back