Raleigh Dynaflite SBDU 753.... 'Manager Special'

So glad you got this and did it proud, certainly a 'one of a kind' bike and a totally unique machine.
Cheers 👍... really enjoyed building this bike up and learning new skills such as wheel building and the internal workings of Sturmey Archer...🤔 I don't normally pay silly money for bikes but there was some serious collectors in the bidding for this rather special machine and it's the perfect partner for my other SBDU Dynaflite. I will continue my research on Ian Phillips as I would like to know more about his employment history before and after his time at Raleigh..🔎.
Oh no..🫣 another 40 year old all original SBDU racing machine has rolled into the stable ready for a light restoration..👍

IMG_20220417_110331_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I've just got through reading this thread and have to say it was an absolute joy to read and what a superb job you've done.

I have similar feelings to Peachy regarding the shinyness as it would bug me and normally my instinct would to make it shiny again, but on this occasion I too would have left it well alone, its lack of a showy finish is part of its appeal and its status as a sleeper which is a concept I wholeheartedly get behind when it comes to cars so on this occasion it can also transfer to bikes.

I've got mixed feelings about this.
Superb thread and great history and all the components have had such great work and attention that they all look superb, all that is except for the one unique and possibly best component, namely the frame. It looks awful in the photos which would normally hide such a lot, so I can only imagine how horrific the worming looks in the flesh!
No offence meant as obviously the reason it's in such poor condition isn't your fault and I think I understand the "it's only original once" reasoning, I just think ok if you don't want to completely re-finish it (although it wouldn't be hard to exactly replicate and would look amazing) I wouldn't be able to not attempt some localised repair work to the paint.

Sorry.

Bet it rides like a dream though.

I sound like a right miserable twat, sorry, I just like things to be shiny.

Edit

Oh and sleeper Fords? If you want Ford sleepers then it has to be South African ones for me as Ford Cortina's with V6's in are an absolute hoot. I had one as a teenager which was a very late Cortina with a 2.8 V6 and a manual gearbox in it, I badged it as a 1.6 Ghia and had a lot of fun at the lights with that one although every roundabout was an adventure

Last edited:
Great job, well done
When the thread started, I couldn't get my head around mediocre components on what might be argued an ultimate in frames and not used for any hard core riding, but I've got round to the idea of a wolf in sheep's clothing, to which most wouldn't give a second glance and thus miss the hidden gem

Cheers guys... thank you for your kind comments..🙏 I'm liking the terms Sleeper and Hidden Jem, i think they sum up the understated look of the bike perfectly. I know that I paid a gemstone price for the bike but luckily got all the original parts in with the deal and have spent about £150 on tyres, tubes, cables and spokes etc, so I'm in for around £1070...oh and the mudguards have added 500g so 9.6kg or 21lbs. The nearest modern comparison I can find is the very smart looking Pashley Countryman in Reynolds 531 butted tubing and 8 speed hub gear. It weighs a whopping 4kg more at 13.5kg or nearly 30lbs and costs £1600..on the plus side you get Brooks grips, leather saddle and a very smart Trouser Guard..👍

My first car was a MK1 Capri 1600L so always have a soft spot, i know that there was the V8 Perana Capri in South Africa... didn't know that they did V6 Cortina and even a V8 Granada out there..was your V6 a factory car..?

pashley_countryman_bells_bicycles_2_1200x1200.jpg a8088055780e70e403c7e9797ff67a04--basil-fame.jpg Cortina1.jpg image-asset.jpeg

Another little snippet of information from Cycling February 1979 about Ian Phillips stepping down after two years as President of the Bicycle Association...looks like he came away with a clock or watch...🕰️⌚

IMG_20220421_093549~2.jpg

Spotted this thread a while ago and thought hmm I'll make time for a little gander.
My lunch is now stone cold...😀

I've owned a Raleigh or two as a kid who hasn't!? ,I've ridden a very sweet little record ace which I was quite taken with but I always knew Raleigh had another shed where the other stuff happened!
That frame truly is beautifuly put together!
I'm stuck like a fly on a windshield with those seat stays at the seat clamp it's so crisp and purposeful ...
I was going to ask if you had pics of the bottom bracket but I thought I'd just have a quick look again and found a page I'd missed.....I think I've just seen my favourite bottom bracket ever.

Ive never seen this tubeset before,how it all comes together it has a Teutonic feel to it if that's even possible! The brazing is perfect ! I love the charm of it being so completely understated in its overall at ten paces look. Very easy to look but not see ..
Cracker!
Thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Health to enjoy 👍

My first car was a MK1 Capri 1600L so always have a soft spot, i know that there was the V8 Perana Capri in South Africa... didn't know that they did V6 Cortina and even a V8 Granada out there..was your V6 a factory car..?
Yes the Mk5's 2.8's were badged as the XR6 and there was also a 3.0S Mk4 Cortina that was trimmed the same as a 3.0S Mk3 Capri. There was even a V8 Sierra hat was badged as the XR8 with a 5 Litre Mustang engine in it, always fancied one of those

Edit

We did have V6 Cortina's here in the UK as well though, the 2.3V6 Mk 4 and 5's of course but there was the Savage Mk2 and Mk3 3 Litre V6's which were a hell of a thing

Was a nice surprise to see this in the flesh today (I didn't say hi, sorry, pushed for time and you were chatting) but it looked great!
Sorry that we didn't meet for a chat, you got away with it as i was busy chewing someone else's ear off..😂 Its really great to get back to the bike jumbles and see some familiar faces after what seems like an eternity and had a lovely day at Chalfont. I brought the 'Manager Special' to show some Raleigh collectors who had a stall, and and on showing the bike a very shiny sexy Campagnolo 'Trouser Guard' appears...Wow.. rocking horse poo and a fiver exchanged.. Cheers..🍻 great guys..👍

IMG_20220427_124712_HDR.jpg IMG_20220427_124739_HDR.jpg IMG_20220427_124804_HDR.jpg IMG_20220427_124814_HDR.jpg IMG_20220423_101421_HDR.jpg

Back