Raleigh Banana 531c Restoration

Re:

A really nice finish you've achieved there, looks great.

At first I was wondering about the black bar tape - I wondered if it should be yellow like mine, but no it's just me you've got that bang on as well for a 531c build.

As for your choice of pedals, that suggests you're going to ride it ! I've got a set of Campagnolo looks I put on mine to ride it (but not today!)

Thanks citrix, I'm really very happy with it.

They did also use black bar tape on the pro bikes, if you check out the team photos you will see it there, and there's a few other photos I have for reference but the team ones are easy to call out. Personal preference played a part too, black bar tape because (as you quite rightly said) I'll be riding it, yellow bar tape will get dirty, so I went for black.

But the pedals aren't the real indicator of it's use as I have fitted period Dura-Ace 7401, as fitted to the same team bikes that you can see in the team photos mentioned above. I want to keep it authentic looking. :)

Re: Raleigh Banana 531c

Just like to say the bike looks great.

I have just acquired a 531c banana frame and will be working on it over the next year or so. I plan the use a lesser spec of shimano 600 as it seems to be very reasonably priced on ebay at the moment compared to the Dura Ace.

Can I asked you, where did you acquire the decals from for your frame?

glad this poped back up i missed the final pics before. great build looks fantastic.

Re:

Thanks, and yup it was H Lloyd for the decals and the renovation work was done by Colour Tec of Dartford. Still very happy with the end result :)

So I look forward to seeing yours finished, it should look very nice too with 600 on it. Will you start a build thread? ;)

Superb! I don't know an awful lot, but there are an awful lot of people on here that do! I started mine a good couple of years ago, so I learned a few bits that I didn't previously know along the way. I also learned some lessons during the renovation, which I will gladly pass on. :)

Latest posts

Back