Proper Barn Find

Re: Re:

dwscrimshaw":fht2nffb said:
coomber":fht2nffb said:
Loving this.

Genuine question, how do you get an even finish on a frame so pitted or are you leaving that to whoever paints it?
Genuine answer, I don't know yet. First stage is get rid of the rust and see how bad it is. I am hoping plenty of primer will do it.

I hope the frame responds to rust treating and is still structurally sound

At this moment in time it looks more like a job for Polycell smooth over for flattening Artex ceilings

How are you treating the rust? Wire brush first I guess but then what? Fine wet and dry will clean the tops of the surface but how to remove rust from the pits? Chemical approach?

I'll get some Jenolite and use a brush gently. See how much is loose and whats left after that. It does not look so bad in reality, I think the photo's make it look worse than it is. There are a couple of areas of concern, but feels solid enough.

if all's good then use some Curerust and lots of primer/rubbing down. I have a couple of there frames that not as bad to practise on first!

Have you considered rust removal using the acid method for rust removal (citric or oxalic acid)? Bit of a faff finding something to submerse the whole frame in the solution but it's a commonly used method by the BMX boys to remove rust on a chromed frame......

I've used Oxalic acid a lot on chromed parts and it really works well......and have been tempted to try the theory on some of the rusty Raleigh Roadsters that I've renovated.......

Made a start on the rust, Evaporust and wire brush so far. There are a few areas where pitting is quite deep, but nothing structural so far. Can see a lot more of the original Paint work now.

Attachments

• Frame & forks.png
    Frame & forks.png
    403 KB · Views: 643
  • Frame.png
    Frame.png
    392.6 KB · Views: 643
  • Forks.png
    Forks.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 643
So, what’s the plan?
Reproduction of the original paint scheme or a completely new look?

Back