Proper Barn Find

Yes, that's the plan. Doing the lining might be tricky, still there's no rush and I have plenty of other projects on the go. I'll try and put as much origin stuff back on as possible, might even go for a Brooks saddle. Never ventured there before!

Got the worst of the rust off now, it seems to be only badly pitted in a few places like along the sides of the top tube. I guess that's where its been lent up against things and taken the paint off. I'll rub it down carefully and get the rest of the paint off so as to start treating the rust.

Getting down to some bare metal. The pitting is worse along the sides of the top tube, but could be worse. Trying some curerust prior to filling with primer.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-15 092550.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-15 092550.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,151
  • Screenshot 2020-09-15 092621.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-15 092621.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,151
  • Screenshot 2020-09-15 092650.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-15 092650.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Screenshot 2020-09-15 092725.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-15 092725.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 1,152
Peachy!":167wwp74 said:
So, what’s the plan?
Reproduction of the original paint scheme or a completely new look?
Do I remember on some thread you showed now you got rust off frames? I seem to remember it involved putting them in bags filled with some concoction. I think this is going to need a good soak in something to really kill off the rust. I am feeling confident there is nothing structural so now need something a bit more aggressive.

dwscrimshaw":2h98fp0p said:
Peachy!":2h98fp0p said:
So, what’s the plan?
Reproduction of the original paint scheme or a completely new look?
Do I remember on some thread you showed now you got rust off frames? I seem to remember it involved putting them in bags filled with some concoction. I think this is going to need a good soak in something to really kill off the rust. I am feeling confident there is nothing structural so now need something a bit more aggressive.

Two threads;
The first was on my 1939 DSH Championship path, where I used a method described by Doug (CBguy) where I wrapped Evapo-rust soaked paper towel then encapsulated it with cling-wrap. (pg4) This worked very well on the rust but also softened and bleached the paint and decals… so not really the result I wanted.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=386371&hilit=%2739+D.S.H+Championship+Path&start=20

The other was on my 1981 Colstar;
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=409971&p=3016162#p3016162

Where I did seal the frame in a vacbag in an attempt to reduce the amount of Oxalic Acid used to clean up the frame… results were mixed…. The paint was freshened up and so were the decals without either getting damaged, but the rust was barely touched.. also it really stinks. I’ve since bought some large paint spill site trays 1200 long x 600 wide 60mm deep for treating large items such as rims and frames (although the frames are still too wide to get completely submerged without an occasional flip)
If I’m not concerned about the original paint or decals, I now go straight to my local bead blaster guy (who happens to be into restoring vintage motorbikes) to have a frame first chemically dipped/striped then very careful light fine beed blast to remove surface rust, then I use Dougs Evaporust wrap method before an alcohol clean and a spray coat of acid etch primer.

ok, as there is very little paint left here and I want it off anyway I'll try the paper towels. Might also see who does bead blasting round here. Thanks

Re:

Interesting project ,lots of quality shed time for sure . I keep looking for another winter
"I am just off in the garage for 10 minutes ".
An A S Gillot was on the horizon a few weeks back , but it choose to stay with the family however , which was a far nicer outcome .

Re: Re:

bagpuss":2mbi0gsx said:
Interesting project ,lots of quality shed time for sure . I keep looking for another winter
"I am just off in the garage for 10 minutes ".
An A S Gillot was on the horizon a few weeks back , but it choose to stay with the family however , which was a far nicer outcome .
yes, plenty to do

Latest posts

Back