Problems with campagnolo canti brake pads/blocks - dont work

Those straddles definitely look too long, the arms on these are quite long and "vertical" which makes the problem worse (did campag make "narrow profile" cantis? I'm not sure but these definitely look "narrow"). With the setup you have now, there'll be little mechanical advantage when blocks are touching the rim so that's why they don't work. Plus old pads sometimes aren't the best, they harden and dry out, then don't grip the rims. one thing or the other and you might be OK, but both these things together and it's no wonder they don't work! Try shortening the straddles until the hanger is aprox half the distance from the tyre that it is now, and see how they work. Then swap for decent modern pads and see if there's any more improvement.

There's a good explanation on sheldon: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

They’re old pads and very hard! Other Brake pad surfaces are hard too But they usually have a certain feel to them - probably my because of the braking material used
Braking surface on these is just plain hard plastic - no flash Compounds or anything.

I set these up after watching the video and did manage to get decent braking from the brakes - progressive certainly much better and safer but I wouldn’t trust these to make an emergency stop so still have to work on them.

I may try different blocks - but don’t want to cough up 4x £18 for Kool Stops. Any decent budget brands? Saw Jagwire for £3.99 - any good?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back