Polishing up a neglected previously polished alloy frame for lazy people

Felt discs for angle grinder and a stick of polishing compound

Something like these but loads of other options/prices available. I then use felt cone shaped bits on the dremel to get in to the detail areas.

Not much effort required although it’s a bit messy!

That's the kind of reply I hoped for. "Not much effort required". I hope I don't destroy the frame!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Colleague at work recommended I try a different product after watching me polish a frame with autosol over a few lunch times, whilst you still have to put the effort in to get it to a decent point to start polishing it's so much better than anything else I've ever used to polish a frame and seems to last well. Not cheap but I'd try the restorer then the alu one:

I don't have any pics to hand but a once over with this stuff got to to the same stage as a few hours worth of autosol or the equivalent.

That's the kind of reply I hoped for. "Not much effort required". I hope I don't destroy the frame!
I’m assuming it’s not lacquered, even if it were the felt pads don’t take long to get through it if there’s enough surface area.

I don’t think you’ll hurt the frame but it will definitely take out the decals if you are leaving them on. Last time I did my Zaskar I just bought a new set and polished the whole thing.

Colleague at work recommended I try a different product after watching me polish a frame with autosol over a few lunch times, whilst you still have to put the effort in to get it to a decent point to start polishing it's so much better than anything else I've ever used to polish a frame and seems to last well. Not cheap but I'd try the restorer then the alu one:

I don't have any pics to hand but a once over with this stuff got to to the same stage as a few hours worth of autosol or the equivalent.
I’ve not tried that one, I usually go over it with Belgom once the frame has been refinished with the pad, the Belgom also takes off any residue from the compound.

Belgom 09.0250 Aluminium, 250 ml
https://g.co/kgs/ve5v8c

And be careful with all those aluminium particles. That black paste you get when polishing is toxic, be careful in terms of getting on skin and breathing it in. Mask if using power tools, nitrile gloves when removing top oxide layer.

Have a child. let child grow to 9-12 years old. offer child slight increase in pocket money (preferably around the time of first girl friend, as money becomes more of an issue) to do the work for you.

whilst there are benefits to this plan, be warned, there are many many many many downsides too.
it's like an update of that old Jesuit aphorism: Give me a child until they are 7 - and I'll make a frame polisher out of them.

Your quote of £150 is probably very reasonable as it does take a while. The rotary polishing pads and polishing (soap) bars work very well. Its a good thing to do yourself if you've got the time for it. Satisfying job.

Metal polisher local(ish) to me charged £60 to buff up my Indian Fire Trail a couple of years ago. Apparently the lacquer was a bit tough but their belt sanders/polishers got through it. They couldn't quite get in to some of the nooks and crannies, but it was certainly came out far better than when I took it in there.

Back