Peugeot

Pchrist

Retro Newbie
Does anyone know how much a 1959 or 60 PX10 would sell for in todays market? Trying to figure out for insurance purposes. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Early Peugeot PX10's very rarely come onto the market so it's difficult to put a value on one. Condition and original components would affect the value, do you have any photos of the machine?
You could price up the cost of replacing each component... Simplex rear mech £2000 to kick things off..👍

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the reply. I have done some research and the only thing that was close was a 62/63 model for 2,500 Euros list on eBay.fr. Is that derailleur for sale on eBay UK made of platinum? As for the bike it is in original condition, paint is good having been stored in a climate controlled environment since 1976. Ideale 59 saddle is pristine. The bad is that it was converted to a fixie, so is missing front rear and derailleurs and levers. Will try and get some pics up in a while.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_2617[1].JPG
    IMG_2617[1].JPG
    136 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2618[1].JPG
    IMG_2618[1].JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 38
Using the 59 catalogue for reference I would say yours is a 59 with side pull brakes. Shame it's lost the gears but they are available... would have had a Simplex Juy 543 rear mech..will also require Stronglight chain rings and a French threaded rear block to get back to original, the rest of the machine looks original...a great and rare find..👍
I have a 1960 model which is currently undergoing a sympathetic restoration...

Peugeot 1959 Serie Haut Luxe Inoxydable 2.jpg

Thanks for the detail, much appreciated. Congrats on your 60, I'm sure the result of your restoration will be spectacular. As for what is now positively identified as a 59, the original hub is there, just reversed, so needs a Cyclo Competition freewheel. It has Beborex side pull brakes, Mavic Montlhery rims, AVA stem and handlebars. The 6 digit serial number begins with a 4. A pic of the Ideale 59, it is so nice I'm not sure if I'd actually put my rear end on it. I acquired the bike for $250.00 USD. Want to do a restoration on it and was thinking about some minor but still period upgrades. Stronglight 57 or 49 crankset and corresponding bottom bracket. Simplex 23 front and 61 rear derailleur. I am somewhat of a stickler for accuracy but want a rideable bike as well. What are your thoughts on doing this?

Attachments

• Ideale_59.jpg
    Ideale_59.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I thought my saddle had survived well... yours looks amazing when you consider they are over sixty years old mine has no sag or tears around the rivits, the stiff alloy frame and leather tougth as old boots must have been key. When I first got my PX I pumped up the tubs and took it for a blast, the reverse shifting pattern took some getting used to and the saddle was like being perched on a lump of 3x2 but not as comfortable..😕
No reason why not to swap it for a nice broken in Brooks and save the original Ideale 59 for show and shine events as it's going to be a rider.
I think it's amazing that Pino Cerami rode a PX10 to victory at the 1960 edition of the Paris Roubaix and it stands as the 7th fastest ever..either he had balls of steel or his secret weapon was a Brooks.!?

Pino reunited with his 1960 winning machine....

02CeramiPino.jpg EXPOSITIONPARISROUBAIXSIEGEREGIONLI10Cerami60PeugeotSapin.jpg

I think it's amazing that Pino Cerami rode a PX10 to victory at the 1960 edition of the Paris Roubaix and it stands as the 7th fastest ever..either he had balls of steel or his secret weapon was a Brooks.!?

Peter Post has (I think) the second fastest time at just over 45 kmh in 1964. It was a very different race back then, for starters it actually ran from Paris to Roubaix! It was cobbled because at that time even the main roads were cobbled although these were "normal cobbles", As roads were resurfaced in the late 60ies and 70ies they had to find secteurs where ever they could and these were rougher agricultural tracks or in the case of Arenberg an access road to a mine. So yes,, you still had to be tough as hell to win, especially at those speeds in the 60ies , but not in the same way as today.

Now all carbon and still not much faster. Must have been a combination of polished steel balls and a properly broken in Brooks. :oops:

Haha, Brooks and a 3x2, sounds about right. Had a b15n on my long gone PX10E and smathered it with saddle soap regularly and it was comfortable as hell and fit perfectly.

Appreciate your being a helpful resource vcballbat. BTW my name is Peter. So now once more into the breach with another question for you. The rims are laced to "Prior" small flange hubs. Found some minor references these hubs searching and a very basic description on velobase, here.

A pic of the rear hub

From the lack of available info I'm assuming these are relatively rare and should not be mucked with beyond a a cleaning and regreasing? Since the bike was stored in a climate controlled environment for 45 years, I'm hoping corrosion on cups and cones is minimal. 🤞 I guess the same holds true for headset and bottom bracket. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2620[1].JPG
    IMG_2620[1].JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back