Peugeot Comete conversion

peugeot1895

Retro Newbie
Hello all, I have recently acquired an 80's Peugeot Comete. I would like to convert the downtube shifters to shifters on the handlebars. Unable to space the rear drops from 126mm to 130mm as it is an aluminium frame and so the best i can hope do is a 7 speed cassette with 8 speed shifters on the handlebars, will this work with Shimano components? Campagnolo components?

Attachments

• 142937114_10222004117544759_3133739251877699034_n.jpg
    142937114_10222004117544759_3133739251877699034_n.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 23
Its just a standard bike frame so it will 'work' with whatever you throw at it. But check for stress fractures where the tubes are joined as the lugs can crack where the tube is forced in by the build process.

You can have 8spd Shimano using most of a 9spd cassette, a 9spd chain and 9spd shifters

eight of the 9spd cogs/ spacers/ lock ring will fit on a Shimano 7spd freehub body allowing the use of 9spd STI and a 126mm wheel

Which specific make/model shimano freehub would i need in order to fit 8 of the 9spd cogs? I know some of the splines are a tad longer than others, having Campagnolo on most of my other bikes im unsure as to the shimano range

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just discovered something to throw a spanner in the works and also solve all of my problems. I thought i would swap out a wheel from one of my other bikes which is 130mm just to see if the rear stays on the Comete were actually 126mm, and well they are not it turns out. Not quite 130mm, more like 129mm when measured but even so the 130mm wheel slotted in perfectly. With this new information i can simply put a 9 speed wheel in and carry out a full Campagnolo handlebar shifter conversion, happy days :)

Hello, long shot this but would you be interested in selling your comete at all? I’ve been looking to get one as a replacement to one that was stolen. Cheers joe

Hello Joe, Sorry to say it is a long shot, not long had it rebuilt and back onto the road. Managed to find a 126mm hub which can fit a 9 speed block, Campag throughout, hell of a ride, VERY different to steel, very flexible and takes a bit of getting used to, i love it!!!!!

Attachments

• Comete1.JPG
    Comete1.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back