parkpre pro elite retro/modern build - FINISHED!!! pics p2

random bits and bobs...

coghog (from the original build) - they definitely improve shifting!

bullet bros chaintensioner - I had a red one BITD that worked great, then sold it on here. when I decided to build the bike up again a knew I wanted another one, and silver fits perfectly!

Attachments

• DSCN9780.JPG
    DSCN9780.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 901
  • DSCN9779.JPG
    DSCN9779.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 901
it's been a while, and I'm no further on with the build :(

but I just got a parcel - my thumbies arrived! From taiwan to spain in a week - faster than some stuff that comes from the UK!

I wanted thumbies as I like the simplicity, and they keep the retro style nicely. Going to a 9 speed drivetrain meant I was a bit limited though. In the end I went with the new microshift 9s index thumbies, which now have a friction option. only 112g the pair (not including cables and outers, which were included in the box!). They look and feel quite similar to the old suntour thumbies - a lot sleeker than shimano - and have a very solid feeling click and nice ratchet.

now i just need my forks back from the LBS, and my bars should have arrived by now too!

Attachments

• DSCN9905.JPG
    DSCN9905.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 849
foz":3f1v5ga7 said:
In the end I went with the new microshift 9s index thumbies, which now have a friction option. only 112g the pair (not including cables and outers, which were included in the box!). They look and feel quite similar to the old suntour thumbies - a lot sleeker than shimano - and have a very solid feeling click and nice ratchet.

Do these thumbies index properly so one click and it is in gear? Also what is the friction option?

Also good updates so far :)

Well I haven't fitted them yet, but playing around with them a bit there 8 very solid clicks (the tension can be adjusted to require more or less force to move the lever), and they're supposed to be shimano 9s compatible, so I see no reason why they won't work just like any other indexed thumbie (deore, XT, suntour, etc) - one click per shift.
The LH lever is a power ratchet type feel, so infinite adjustment of the front mech.
The friction option on the RH/rear lever is just that - friction. Means they can be used with any rear mech and cassette (without indexing), or if something goes wrong midway through a ride (bent mech or hanger, for example), then you can just select friction and still have gears :)

I've nearly finished the build now :)

no pics yet as I don't have time to take it outside and take a few, plus building is a slow process as I get time here and there...

I got my saddle finished though - an SLR that I bought on the forum. It had already been stripped down to just the shell, so a quick clean and recovering with artificial leather has left it looking decent. Now I just have to decide if it fits my arse, and the test saddle I have on while building is black, which I think might look better than white :?

not long to go now until the build is finished!

DSCN9909.jpg

not long to go... well that was a joke :)

I did finally get all the parts though, so I might be out and riding it tomorrow if I get time!

A few things have changed, but lack of time has meant I haven't been taking pics and updating this thread.

I found some great condition suntour XC pro thumbies at an unbeatable price, so have decided to stick with 8 speed. Why I can't just make my mind up before starting I don't know, but then half the fun is just taking a build as it comes and seeing what it ends up like!

My early avid mechanical disc brake exploded and I lost bits all over the place (I'm still find them occasionally!), so I ordered a new one, 2012 model, which arrived this morning.

Got a sunrace 12-28 cassette from the LBS too, and changed the goldtec chainring for an FSA which looks a lot better and is slightly thinner, so I don't need to find washers to space out the inner. Swapped the inner from a 26t middleburn to a 24t, since I'm only going to 28 on the back and not 32 (or was it 34?).

It's all built, I just need to swap out the saddle, and adjust the front brake!

I will be getting another stem too, but the deda newton road stem actually looks pretty good, I'd be leaving it on if it wasn't cracked.

so fingers crossed, pics tomorrow (but having said that, I'll be lucky to get it done this side of xmas!)

Finished! I got the avid sorted this morning, and went out for a short ride. It squealed like no brake I've ever heard before, but after bedding it in it's nice and quiet and very very good! it's the first time I've ever ridden a disc brake of any sort, and I'm well impressed - I can raise the back wheel off the ground while seated and braking with one finger! :LOL:

The gears all index perfectly, front and rear which is good news - I was a little bit worried the suntour shifters wouldn't play nicely but they do :)

The saddle is only temporary while I get another one sorted, but it's actually not uncomfortable and might end up staying on there! I forgot to put the bar end caps on too :oops:

DSCN9961.jpg

DSCN9962.jpg

DSCN9963.jpg

DSCN9964.jpg

DSCN9965.jpg

DSCN9966.jpg

DSCN9967.jpg

DSCN9968.jpg

DSCN9969.jpg

DSCN9970.jpg

DSCN9971.jpg

DSCN9972.jpg

DSCN9973.jpg

DSCN9974.jpg

DSCN9975.jpg

DSCN9976.jpg

DSCN9977.jpg

DSCN9978.jpg

DSCN9979.jpg

DSCN9981.jpg

Full build spec:

Frame: Parkpre Pro Elite Ti, 19" (1995)
Fork: Rock Shox Reba RL set to 80mm (2012)
Headset: Hope Enduro 1_1/8" (2003)
Stem: Deda Newton Road 31.8 / 120mm (to be changed when I'm sure of the length) (2006)
Bars: XLC Comp Flatbar 31.8mm (2012)
grips: Peaty clamp-ons (modern)
bar ends: UNO stubbie (2012)
Seatpost: Ritchey Comp 27.2mm (2012)
Saddle: Iscaselle/Gipiemme Road saddle (early 90's)
seatclamp: M.Part (modern)
Gear levers: Suntour XC Pro 8s thumbies (mid 90's)
Front Mech: shimano XT M737 (1995)
Rear Mech. shimano XT M739 8s (1995) with a cog hog (1995)
Cranks: Shimano XT M750 175mm (early 00's ?)
Chainrings: FSA 38t middle/outer, Middleburn 24t inner (both modern, I think!)
BB: UN51, 113mm (1995(
Cassette: Sunrace 12-28 8s (2012)
Chain: Sachs 8s (modern)
cables: jagwire/microshift (modern)
Brake levers: shimano XT M739 (1995)
Rear Brake: shimano XT M760 (2012)
Front Brake: Avid BB7 mechanical with HS1 160mm rotor (2012)
Front hub: bontrager disc (modern? not sure!)
Rear hub: shimano XT M750 (modern)
rims: mavic 217 sunset (1995)
tyres: Geax AKA/Saguaro 2.1 (2012)
QR skewers: original hope (early 90's ?) and shimano XT M750
pedals: shimano M535 (I think), (1994)

I think that's everything!

Back