Pace RC36 Pro Class

dj_crisp

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I noticed my Pace RC36 Pro Class forks have developed a bit of play under braking which is not the headset as I was able to replicate it by hand. So I thought I'd take them apart to see if anythings up and I'm sure they're due a service.... (which I've never personally done so thought I'd have a look to try and learn!)

The left spring is nice and firm however the right spring isn't as per the photo. It could be normal but just wondered if it it?

On close inspection I can see i need new wiper seals as these are starting to split so will need replacing. Is there anything else to look out for and any common faults to cause play/brake judder around the stansions?

Many Thanks for looking,
Will

Attachments

• 2020-12-02 21.51.48-1.jpg
    2020-12-02 21.51.48-1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 408
Re:

Play is caused by bushing wear. You would need to replace these. They live in the lower legs. Not sure if this is an easy job on pace forks of that era or not though.

Re:

The bushings in the carbon lowers cannot easily be replaced, the alloy seal housings have to be removed, old bushings pulled out, new bushings fitted(or old ones modified) and the seal housings re-bonded, preferably on the old leg jig to align them correctly.
The 1997 and 1998 RC36 forks were fitted with a new design of split metal ring bushings with a bearing facing (Ptfe?) which were replacements for the earlier RC35 type flexible bearing tapes. There was a lot of tolerance problems during the factory assembly. Also, the carbon material relaxes over time which leads to perceived play in the fork resembling 'headset rock'. Fresh grease to the bearing faces can help, there has to be a small tolerance gap for the grease to lube them.

The right spring is fitted on the damper rod and retainer, the left spring is fitted to a skewer rod and retainer with a non functional piston and top out bumper within the stanchion, it is loose because the top out will probably have melted.
Damper assembly in right leg will need new seals and oil, the damper rod may be scored.
Wiper seals should be replaced if split. Best to use original Pace ones with the gold stanchions together with Pace RC7 grease.
Let me know if you would like them done ;)

Re: Re:

justbackdated":1jwjo8p6 said:
The bushings in the carbon lowers cannot easily be replaced, the alloy seal housings have to be removed, old bushings pulled out, new bushings fitted(or old ones modified) and the seal housings re-bonded, preferably on the old leg jig to align them correctly.
The 1997 and 1998 RC36 forks were fitted with a new design of split metal ring bushings with a bearing facing (Ptfe?) which were replacements for the earlier RC35 type flexible bearing tapes. There was a lot of tolerance problems during the factory assembly. Also, the carbon material relaxes over time which leads to perceived play in the fork resembling 'headset rock'. Fresh grease to the bearing faces can help, there has to be a small tolerance gap for the grease to lube them.

The right spring is fitted on the damper rod and retainer, the left spring is fitted to a skewer rod and retainer with a non functional piston and top out bumper within the stanchion, it is loose because the top out will probably have melted.
Damper assembly in right leg will need new seals and oil, the damper rod may be scored.
Wiper seals should be replaced if split. Best to use original Pace ones with the gold stanchions together with Pace RC7 grease.
Let me know if you would like them done ;)

Thanks for your excellent explanation! As a newbie I can't PM yet and I'd really appreciate if you can send me your email address.

Cheers
Will

Back