Orange P7 outlaw build. sort of finished.

I think it looks very good. The new decals against the patina is excellent. Purists may baulk, but I admire the variation which this brings to the scene. I like the obsessiveness of 'back to catalogue' builds, but there's no LAW about things. If things are being preserved and used, that's the really important thing. A I think there's a lot of latitude for different approaches. In this case I really like the 'Outlaw' aesthetic - just imagine a load of contemporary XT hung on that frame - two finger levers, first gen V brakes - that would look excellent.

I think it looks very good. The new decals against the patina is excellent. Purists may baulk, but I admire the variation which this brings to the scene. I like the obsessiveness of 'back to catalogue' builds, but there's no LAW about things. If things are being preserved and used, that's the really important thing. A I think there's a lot of latitude for different approaches. In this case I really like the 'Outlaw' aesthetic - just imagine a load of contemporary XT hung on that frame - two finger levers, first gen V brakes - that would look excellent.
Thanks for the encouragement guys. It's certainly not going to be a catalogue build. The donor bike is my own X1, so the parts will be as they are on that bike.

XT V brakes, levers and front mech.
Sram gripshift 7.0 and rear mech.
Xlite fly stem, geforce bars and kevlar saddle.
Rockshox Judy DH forks.
Race Face I-beam cranks and chain rings.
Mavic 121 rims with hope front hub, LX rear.
Panaracer smoke and dart reissue tyres.
Odyssey triple trap pedals.

I think that's about it. They'll all need a bit of a clean as I transfer them across, but not too much work, hopefully.

Ok, a quick update and a couple of pics for anyone who's still watching.
I finally got around to pressing in the headset cups, new Ritchey logic 1" threadless and so could start on the build.
I started stripping the donor bike, Orange X1 with the intention of cleaning and servicing everything before then fitting them to the P7. That didn't happen as I can't wait to get it built and ridden.

I have only got the front end on and the wheels, but at least it looks like a bike and I can get a good idea of the overall look, I like it!

Problem one! I really do need a longer steerer for the Judy DH forks! Bugger, I thought I could get away with it and to be fair I probably will, but I would really like the front end to be higher anyway, my 51 year old back and neck prefer it! It is only about 2/3rds of the way into the stem, with no spacers fitted, so really an inch or more longer would be ideal, but I know that 1" Judy steerers are very hard to find, so if anyone has one that is longer than 6 1/2 inches long I would pay handsomely for it!

Anyway, a couple of crap pics...
IMG_20210529_192050.jpg
IMG_20210529_192306.jpg

Looking good.

Sold a 1 inch steerer t'other week. They do come up - and you could sell yours and buy another or vice versa.

Bottom bracket cleaned up and it's in great condition, except for the plastic non drive side bit which is a bit scuffed and chewed, but still very usable. It's only a BB-UN52 and quite long! 68 x 118? I'll have to check on the chainline once I have fitted the cranks.

Speaking of cranks, I still feel that these are an amazing set, I can't remember what they cost back in 1995/6 but they look great and still very cool. I feel that they must be fairly rare as I hardly ever see them.

IMG_20210530_110345.jpg

Now to choose the chainrings. I've got a set of red Middleburns, I say red, Pink and the granny ring is pretty worn?
Then I have a slightly later set of black race face, which are in pretty good condition and very hefty!
IMG_20210530_115335.jpg
IMG_20210530_120345.jpg

Back