Options for 2x9 brake/shifters on 90's build ?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Need some help/advice

On my Roberts road bike I have 3x9 Shimano Sora, which work fine but not smart enough for the frame or the look I am after.

I was thinking of going down the Dura-ace 9 speed SIS downtube route, but what are the options for a decent 2x9 combined shifter set up that's more in keeping with the look. Eg Dura-ace.

Considering thier age do they function as well as later lower models ?

Or for simplicity is it easier to fit d/tube shifters, assuming I can find some 🤔🤔

You're in the Dura Ace 'Flight Deck' era with 9-speed STI. I would probably go with those if they're the right sort of era for your frame.

9-speed Dura Ace downtube shifters are great, but bear in mind they're very pricey. I know you've already got a 9-speed cassette, but if you're going to splash out that much it might be worth considering the 10-speed ones and change the cassette at the same time. The great thing about 10-speed is it's backwards compatible so it'll work with all your older SIS derailleurs.

I see, to be honest I hadn't considered going 10 speed. Not sure if I can fit a 10 speed on the rear spacing ?

9sp isn't 90's period correct as you probably know, but cosmetically 105/Ultegra 9sp will fit the bill & not stick out like a sore thumb. 5500/6500 series components from about yr2000.

SunRace could be a cheaper option to Dura Ace 👍

On my Ribble I wanted to run an 8-speed cassette with a Dura Ace 9-speed rear mech which is okay but the 10-speed Dura Ace down tube shifters were the problem. When I bought them cheap on eBay (£30 i think) my thinking was that they are the same pull ratio as 8-9 speed.... they aren't, the cassette spacing on 8-9-10 speed is different as I found out when they didn't work, I put it down to an impulse purchase senior moment 🥴 Any way all was not lost, by moving the cable on the rear mech to pull from the top of the clamp bolt instead of below they index perfectly..phew. So a bit of a weird setup on the Ribble with Dura Ace 9-speed rear mech, Dura Ace 11-speed front mech, Dura Ace 10-speed shifters, Shimano 8-speed cassette, KMC 8-speed chain and the ultimate sin.. a Campagnolo Record Carbon 10-speed chainset which all seems to work more by luck than judgment 👍

20201015_130224.jpg 20201015_085322.jpg 20201012_164143.jpg 20201015_085327.jpg 20201012_164310.jpg 20201015_101002.jpg

Ok, don’t do that ^ :D

Make your life easier and use:
-8-speed cassette with 8–speed shifters
-9-speed cassette with 9-speed shifters
-10-speed cassette with, well, you can see where I’m going here.

You can’t use 10-speed shifters with an 8-speed cassette. The pull ratio is the same, but the gear spacing is different. It won’t index. But, @vcballbat a 10-speed cassette will fit in the same space as an 8-speed so you could just switch to a 10-speed cassette and it’ll all work correctly. You might need to swap the chain too because I think 10-speed chains have flush rivets to clear the tighter spacing

Back