Disc brake options for the modern man?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've a wanted ad out, but not really up with what is hot and what is not these days being a retro v brake kind of guy.

I do have modern builds so have some experience but my current project is a very current affair, all boost, dropper etc so looking for advice on brake choice for it.

I've got magura mt6 on a build which seem decent when I've used the bike, and a few with hope tech, though the letter aren't an option on my build as the shifters I want to use don't fit with the bulky master cylinders.

I've been searching online and have come across a few options that I think could work I terms of the aesthetic I'm looking for on the build, but whether they are good, or if better options exist, I'm hoping for advice on.

It's a burly bike, dvo diamond forks up front, planet X jack flash 29er frame in zesty lime. Looking for something in black, and in keeping with the burly nature of the build, probably 4 piston brakes.

So far I've seen some affordable options.

Magura MT5
Magura MT5 Pro
Magura trail sport
Hope tech e3
Hope tech e4

The hopes are probably budget busting but I'm not ruling them out if they are worth the premium.

Should I consider others? I don't mind new or used, the gearing is going to be 11x1 xtr and running carbon ethirteen cranks, wheels are probably a bit budget now as I started off with a set budget I wanted to keep to, but well blown now, but decent enough. Thompson stem and race face carbon bars round off things.

Any advice or pointers to brakes gratefully received. If any support a matchmaker clamp for the silly ispec-II XTR shifter, even better.

Hope as they're a lot better and support your shifters.
I do not rate Magura brakes in particular the cheap, sh*t plastic levers that always break.

Alternatively a pair of Sram Guide/Level as they're a piece of cake to bleed and service and you just can't go wrong with them especially for the pittance they command on the second hand market.

Thanks, I've never been a fan of the avid brake, but possibly clouded by the older ones which seemed pretty rubbish and weren't well reviewed. Are the current ones better, worth considering then?

Old avid were generally rubbish

Shimano, any 4 pot brake is decent. Deores are good vfm for example

But the code r sram brakes I got for a steal second hand are the best brakes I've used they are fantastic

Just buy E4’s and not have to buy another brake again. They just work.

I like sram on a whole but not their brakes. Shimano are ok , but still not as good as Hope.

Shimano don't seem to last like they used to. Old deores last me 7 years, slx about 2 before micro leaks

Hope E4's would be my steer. Very serviceable, high adjustability and will go on for ever with parts in ready supply.

I know the "Hope-tax" has become a bit of a thing recently as they get more and more blingy - but their brakes really do set a standard IMHO.

Some on ebay for £107 ending very soon. With a cleanup they'll last years, and probably re-sell for the same amount when you're done.

Shimano Saint M820.️

I actually like magura levers, they are more ergonomic than other brands.
Yes they're kinda cheap and nasty.

I'm actually thinking of doing a "reverse shigura", that would be magura levers with shimano calipers (saint).
Cause I think Saint calipers should cope with heat better than magura.

Zee calipers are virtually the same (if you can find them).

If you are doing shigura, I'd do it the other way around. Micro leaks are so common it would seem to make more sense to use magura calipers

Back