Opinions needed- refresh or donor bike?

Dexter101

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

last summer I started using a 1998 Specialized Rockhopper that had been left in my garage by a family member. I absolutely love riding it and feels like being a teenager again (the cycling part of my teens at least...)

Now its been badly looked after previously and the more I ride it, the more I find things I want/need to fix.

However it is getting to the point where I am now not sure what I need to do, what I should do and which order to do things in. So any opinions would be well received. List to date:

Seat post- have recently spotted that someone has cut the original seat post flush and has fitted a smaller diameter seat post inside of it. tried to remove it the other day and seems stuck fast. the seat fits fairly snugly although feel that if I did any off road riding (haven't really to date) it might get knocked out of place.

drive chain:
Has a 7 speed cassette
has 8 speed shifters, rides fine and haven't really had a problem with this but would like to refresh the cassette and chain.
front shifter the twisty bit (can't remember the name...) that tensions the cable into the shifter has snapped. can this be replaced or do I need a new shifter? if so, does the existing front derailleur in any way effect the choice of shifter?
bottom bracket- quite surprised, I can't actually feel any play and feels smooth, however if I am riding and look down, it looks like there is movement as can see the chain and chain ring moving side to side. any ideas?

replace cables

This bike doesn't owe me any money so happy to spend a bit on it (within reason for a 22 year old bike) but there is always the flip side which is do I just get a different bike of a similar vintage and use this one for donor parts.

I don't do any serious off road stuff any more, however I am planning a ride from Sheffield to Essex in the summer and this is the bike I want to do it on. Plan is to turn it into a bit of an adventure/bikepacking bike.

Thanks

Re:

Hey Dexter. First off, if you love riding it then that's your answer! Refresh is the way.

The old seat tube probably needs getting out and there a various DIY methods you could try but it might be worth asking a local metal worker to have a look. With the right tools it should be straight forward but there's alway potential to stuff it up if you don't know what you're doing.

As for the groupset it sounds a bit tired so I'd just look on the for sale page or post a wanted add and replace the lot. If you go for Shimano LX, STX or the like it shouldn't cost very much. If you are planning a long ride you may as well change the bottom bracket too as they are freely available and cheap enough. Get a 8sp cassette if you are replacing the one you have but if the mechs work now they will still do after.

Ultimately you should be able to go in any direction quite easily. The wanted section on here is your friend and should provide what you need, especially if you look in the pre 97 section.

Hi and welcome :D

Seat post should stay firm as long as the clamp's tight...
8 speed cassette may require an 8 speed freewheel hub which may not be compatible with the wheel/dish? (not sure about this though...)
The barrel adjuster (twisty bit) could be replaced as they just screw out- you'd have to source a period replacement though...
Chain/chainring moving? Buckled chainring?

You could replace all the bits or go the donor route- it all depends on how much you want to spend and what's available...I'd stick with it and source the parts if I were you though as you have a frame you like and it feels good to ride...

Stressed":1jh6f1m1 said:
Hi and welcome :D

Seat post should stay firm as long as the clamp's tight...
8 speed cassette may require an 8 speed freewheel hub which may not be compatible with the wheel/dish? (not sure about this though...)
The barrel adjuster (twisty bit) could be replaced as they just screw out- you'd have to source a period replacement though...
Chain/chainring moving? Buckled chainring?

You could replace all the bits or go the donor route- it all depends on how much you want to spend and what's available...I'd stick with it and source the parts if I were you though as you have a frame you like and it feels good to ride...

Thanks dude, thats really useful and for the time being will just make sure the seat post is clamped nice and tightly. have done about 250kms and it hasn't caused an issue yet.

will checkout the freewheel hub situation. I do have a spare wheel although, just my luck, the spare also has a 7 speed cassette on it!

think might as well just replace the shifter at this point.

It does seem to run a bit like a buckled wheel might (probably about .5cm of movement side to side). hard to tell if its worse when more pressure is applied or if it is just constant. Maybe just dismantling and reassembling might help me spot if anything else is at fault.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1w5i34qa said:
Hey Dexter. First off, if you love riding it then that's your answer! Refresh is the way.

The old seat tube probably needs getting out and there a various DIY methods you could try but it might be worth asking a local metal worker to have a look. With the right tools it should be straight forward but there's alway potential to stuff it up if you don't know what you're doing.

As for the groupset it sounds a bit tired so I'd just look on the for sale page or post a wanted add and replace the lot. If you go for Shimano LX, STX or the like it shouldn't cost very much. If you are planning a long ride you may as well change the bottom bracket too as they are freely available and cheap enough. Get a 8sp cassette if you are replacing the one you have but if the mechs work now they will still do after.

Ultimately you should be able to go in any direction quite easily. The wanted section on here is your friend and should provide what you need, especially if you look in the pre 97 section.

Thanks for taking the time to reply man! Glad you have reaffirmed my opinion to but some love into this bike. nothing I have ridden in the past 5 years has come close to the enjoyment I got from cycling as a teenager. Unless anyone has a 2003 Carerra Fury knocking about, this one is here to stay.

Will order a cheap (correct sized) seat post and then have another look at it. If I can't figure a way to get it moving ( nothing to grip onto so guessing will require freezing to shrink it a bit, will find someone who might be able to help.

Thanks for the suggestion on the group set. will have a look what is for sale. as it is older not always sure what is backwards compatible so may have some follow up questions!

Re:

Rigid forks should slot straight in as long as they are 1 1/8 inch, threadless (presuming it's got its original threadless headset), and the steerer is an appropriate length for the head tube. The geometry of the bike was 'suspension corrected' so that it could take a suspension fork of the day but, equally it could take a rigid fork (as mine has) with a suitable axle to crown length (that is, longer than for a non-suspension corrected frame). In this case, you want 43cm axle to crown. The geometry is not 'off' as such; it just needs a rigid fork that's the right length for the geometry.

If you love riding it keep it and make it better, you'll only enjoy it more.

To get the seatpost out, spray it liberally and continually with Plus Gas or WD40 and then leave it overnight. Insert an old style handlebar stem into the seat post, put long bar into the stem and twist. The extra leverage should help to move/remove it.

Back