One bike!? What is it?

I don't have one nor do I do it, but I can't help think a gravel bike is the multitool of modern bikes. One with a fr derailleur preferably.
Something that can take mudguards, a range of tyre sizes to suit terrain & the ability to load up with some touring kit if required.

I'm coming round to the realisation that perhaps I have collected too many at the moment, but haven't yet decided which ones I might let go. Part of my problem is I enjoy the restoration as much as the riding and after spending so much time on them am reluctant to let them go.

I don't think I can reduce it to one single set of wheels just yet, but the three I ride most regularly would be Breezer Lightning XTR, which is refined and smooth, My Zaskar LE which is fast and, oddly enough, my 92 GT Karakoram. It's neither fast or refined, but just fun.
I’m in a similar position, I enjoy the shed time being the only male in the house it’s my happy place that’s full of nostalgic stuff that would t really be on display in the house. My shed is attached to the house and the next room to it is the kitchen, I have a radio, bench with a vice, a work stand and enough tools to fix most mechanical problems. So it’s very comfortable and I enjoy the builds as much as riding, more so in foul weather and my favourite bike tends to be what I’m working on so I guess if I only had one bike, what would I do? lol
For years the only bike I had was a ‘97 Rockhopper so it got used for everything and i was happy, content even. People would ask, how’s the Hopper. Now I’ve got an embarrassing number of bikes and people ask, how many have you got now?
I don’t know what the problem is or what the solution is but I do think I need to change my ways a bit.
I have a modern gravel bike, a specialized diverge and it’s awesome I can ride 100 plus mile road rides and go off road like a 90’s mtb but it’s hydroformed alloy and I guess in my head it’s got a limited lifespan where the retro bikes feel like they can last forever. Maybe something imprints on you in a deep way and for me and I suspect most of us it was being a part of this scene back when these bikes were new. Getting the monthly magazines and lusting over parts like x lite, pace, hope xtr, all that good stuff.
I’d love to get to one bike, It became a trusted friend, a deliverer of fun and adventure but which one? More painful, which ones to sell?
And does having a spare frame or two in the loft just in case count? Lol

I see the point of loving to play in the shed. However, no need to keep the final result! Like the squirrels, I like to accumulate "projects" during the year, and then spend the winter building, overhauling and fixing. When the bikes are finished, they go for sale (or to bikeless friends), and the profits, if any, go to upgrades on the permanent stable.

If you think your bike is too precious to sell, price it accordingly. If it doesn't sell, then you are over valuing it. If it sells, now you have the money if you want to buy a similar one in the future...

And with a handful of exceptions, in the current times of industrial overproduction, there are hardly any rare models you can't find again if you're patient.

I see the point of loving to play in the shed. However, no need to keep the final result! Like the squirrels, I like to accumulate "projects" during the year, and then spend the winter building, overhauling and fixing. When the bikes are finished, they go for sale (or to bikeless friends), and the profits, if any, go to upgrades on the permanent stable.

If you think your bike is too precious to sell, price it accordingly. If it doesn't sell, then you are over valuing it. If it sells, now you have the money if you want to buy a similar one in the future...

And with a handful of exceptions, in the current times of industrial overproduction, there are hardly any rare models you can't find again if you're patient.
That’s a great idea. Are you a counsellor? lol 😂.
I’ll give that a try 👍

I agree, this makes perfect logical sense. I'll keep this in mind whilst I look at larger storage options 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JCS
3ba078fa-232f-46cb-b417-aa90608d7bed.jpg
This is going to be my forever do it all Swiss Army bike. With Pinion Smart shift, custom geometry. Takes 26X4.8's or 29+ wheels. All the mounts I need on the front triangle. Optimised for my Fat Girvins or Rigid Carbon forks. Titanium so no paint chipping, just a quick run down with a scotch pad...Can't wait to pick it up from Graham Foot this Friday.
Not retro I know (well apart from the Forks but within the ethos of Retro Biking)

Last edited:
Are you a counsellor? lol
👍
No, but I give this a lot of thought, after uncountable house moves, sometimes including country change.

When I see those threads where people show their well stocked workshops, I love them, but my first thought is... "how are they going to pack all that stuff!?" I like feeling light and ready to go at any moment... I might be a nomad at heart...

Back