One bike!? What is it?

I'm not sure as every time I ride one of my bikes my perception changes. I'd probably be happy to solely own any one of my bikes. I've slowly converted every bicycle I own to more upright/leisure setups and that means that just about any bike I get on feels right.

so, if I had to push myself to answer. I'd go with a larger frame, 26er, fully rigid and upright bars. Titanium too which is nice as I'm no stranger to riding winter slush. Which sums up my Kocmo:

I can use this for absolutely everything I ride.

20240228_172507-01.jpeg

I like the idea of one bike to do it all. There are a list of features that it will have. It would have to be a hybrid, with a steel frame, 700c wheels, cantis, one inch threaded headset with a quill stem so bar height can be adjusted, platform pedals, one chainring, possibly singlespeed, a leather saddle and a straight handlebar.

I have a modest collection of bicycles and parts that is uncluttered, and I wouldn't want to be without it. But if needs must... And yes, I already have it. It is planned to be built this spring from this Vittorio frameset.

b363fc5f-7c8a-45d5-95a2-2f8d831719ae.jpg

Last edited:
I am on the same path as you Tootyred, albeit a little bit further back. I've narrowed it down to the 2 types of riding I do and 2 bikes that could do that.

Next I have to decide if I'm ever going to do any full touring which will help.
The riding definitely dictates. I'm happy switching between a 'modern' tech fest-ish setup and an ancient fillet brazed 'racer', but the latter is fine for just about everything I do for now. They have put in forestry/wind farm access networks most of where we like to ride, so for now I find myself cursing the lugging of knobbly 2.8 650bs on what are pretty smooth trails. I started my riding on racer bikes I took off road in the 70s, and I see no real need for anything else. City centre pot hole and kerb use is a different matter.

Of my current bikes it'd be this one, even though my other two modern bikes get rides more atm! It can cover just about every base. Certainly wouldn't be retro as I like all kinds of terrain, including bike parks.

If I had to sell everything and just buy one it'd probably be a slightly shorter travel full suss 29er.

Photo 16-09-2022, 16 15 49.jpg

Sadly due to downsizing and one of the children coming back home, 2 bikes is the most I can fit in the house.

Needs must 😁

Latest posts

Back