The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Moved up here 18 months ago and regularly walk mut on the beach. Long time back I found this strangely spherical stone in the Sandy rock pools. Plectrum is for scale.

Attachments

• F9B8BA5A-98E7-4676-A009-FCD1CA0B16B1.jpeg
    F9B8BA5A-98E7-4676-A009-FCD1CA0B16B1.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 889
Since then, whenever I walk on the beach I keep my eyes peeled for anything similar amongst the pebbles. The boss is getting less enamoured with my beachcombing. Arthur remains loyal.

They call me. I have to make them safe and warm.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• AF84BB40-151F-4713-9AB9-650DD5CF4A9F.jpeg
    AF84BB40-151F-4713-9AB9-650DD5CF4A9F.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 907
  • B02B64C5-69C3-4C9E-99BE-4F7CDF613A30.jpeg
    B02B64C5-69C3-4C9E-99BE-4F7CDF613A30.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 906
A pyramid in the garden?

There is a beach somewhere that i have been to a few times, cant remember off the top of my head, that is covered in smooth sphere rocks of all sizes, black and white stone. It is now illegal to remove the stone from their, apparently.

mk one":1600lagl said:
A pyramid in the garden?

There is a beach somewhere that i have been to a few times, cant remember off the top of my head, that is covered in smooth sphere rocks of all sizes, black and white stone. It is now illegal to remove the stone from their, apparently.

It's illegal from all beaches and coast.
Max £1000ish fine if your council bother.
Unless it's changed in the past years.

Thanks for that. I thought they were natural and largely shaped by erosion. There are pebbles of all stages on the beach. I thought they might be volcanic ejections, cooled in flight and then eroded. This is suggested by the occasional ‘peanut shell’.

I’d like to display them but I’m not allowed.

As for removal, the locals can often be seen digging gravel for their pigeons, taking all manner of stones by the bucket load. I was aware of the possible penalty. Pretty much every house on my row displays ‘salvaged’ pebbles in porches and on windowsills.

Stressed":vxnczpwg said:
Could they be stone-age cannonballs!?!

(I'll get my coat)
You’re not the first to suggest missiles. I have a Roman slingshot ball that’s very similar but they were far more uniform in size. These vary from marble to melon.

Never knew it was from every beach, had a huge collection at one time, i wonder what the actual offence is. The beach i am trying to think of has a sign up explaining the unusual rocks and how they are protected. I have been to most beaches in the UK and have never seen anything quite like it.

If you could find a way to stick them together you could build a table or something similar.

Not sure about that now as you can buy rocks and pebbles from uk beaches at lots of places, Wickes for example :)

Back