Chronic Fatigue - Taking bets!

thanks Imlach.

Well, I've remained polite to the staff and doctors so far... blood tests finally got looked at. The first I knew of it was being told I have an appointment with the Diabetes nurse (for 2 weeks time). Odd, I have only a single symptom of Diabetes - the exhaustion, nothing else. As i said before, I don't drink, smoke, active. not overweight, seems unlikely.

The blood test showed slightly elevated HbA1c which is an indicator of pre diabetes, hence the Diabetes appointment.

It also showed quite elevated MCH levels (a type of anemia) typically caused by *drumroll* B12 deficiency. I have many of the symptoms of B12 deficiency, and guess what, high MCH can falsely elevate HbA1c.

Combined with the fact that I had a total collectomy in my teens, and there have been quite a few (proper) studies showing that this inhibits teh absorption of B12 (in some cases a total deficiency), it all points to it being a B12 issue.

So, I now have to try and talk to the doctor again to get a B12 test, which took me over 3 weeks to start with (plus another week to get the blood test and another week for the results).

thanks Imlach.

Well, I've remained polite to the staff and doctors so far... blood tests finally got looked at. The first I knew of it was being told I have an appointment with the Diabetes nurse (for 2 weeks time). Odd, I have only a single symptom of Diabetes - the exhaustion, nothing else. As i said before, I don't drink, smoke, active. not overweight, seems unlikely.

The blood test showed slightly elevated HbA1c which is an indicator of pre diabetes, hence the Diabetes appointment.

It also showed quite elevated MCH levels (a type of anemia) typically caused by *drumroll* B12 deficiency. I have many of the symptoms of B12 deficiency, and guess what, high MCH can falsely elevate HbA1c.

Combined with the fact that I had a total collectomy in my teens, and there have been quite a few (proper) studies showing that this inhibits teh absorption of B12 (in some cases a total deficiency), it all points to it being a B12 issue.

So, I now have to try and talk to the doctor again to get a B12 test, which took me over 3 weeks to start with (plus another week to get the blood test and another week for the results).
Aw that sucks. It sounds unlikely about the diabetes considering your healthy lifestyle, and it does seem that B12 deficiency is a much more likely outcome.

I've had numerous family members needing to go on B12 supplements other than myself and partner. Can really mess with you, makes you feel rather disoriented and confused at times even.

Sorry that it's such a slow process. It's a mess over here too, I'm with a bigger GP practice and the waiting times are getting worse here. Surprised that they take so long to process blood tests though, we get results in 1 to 2 days.

I hope you'll get to the bottom of it. I've responded to your PM :)

I hope you get this sorted. As we get older things like this will happen and in alot of cases some tablets/diet change, or both, can work wonders.

Even if you take VitD, B12, Iron etc it is always worth getting checked out because your body might not be doing anything with what take in from the sun, food, or supplements. Never drink tea with some pills as it stops absorption, or something like that.

I am now officially pre-diabetic and have ripped out a load of food that i was eating and have severely cut back on carbs. I found out by doing the 500ml Lucozade test with a blood monitor that my insulin response was really slow.

Has taken a bit of getting used to, but now i have felt the benefits i am all in. The main effects for me were big mood swings, body temp all over the place, sudden ridiculous amounts of fatigue, and my bike riding was really hit and miss, performance wise. It was like diamonds in the legs some days and legs made of concrete the next for no reason that i could see. All seems to have improved so hopefully i can keep it at bay for a few more years.

Friendly reminder to everyone; If you start feeling like cr@p out of the blue, and it affects normal activity, always go to the doc and if you aren't satisfied then go to another. They are paid to listen and help fix people not dismiss everything and tell you it will probably just go away. That or just go to hospital/call for a paramedic if you feel proper queasy as it could be heart related. Especially with age and even if you have looked after yourself.

thanks Imlach.

Sounds rather encouraging. I was proactive with B12 supplementation (the sprays are good) after my right hemicolectomy a few years ago because I've struggled with iron anaemia for years due to Crohn's - and I'm not very good at spotting the slow gradual decline in motivation, energy etc that result from deficiencies until it's hard for me to get motivated to do something about it. Also do D/K/Mg/C/Zn and Omega 3 - as well as a bunch of more out there supplements. My 50s are now turning out to be my best years after years of chronic pain and bouts of fatigue - and a fairly long recovery from the surgery.

Apart from the truly gruelling waiting time to get anything done this sounds encouraging, hopefully they'll remove the proverbial finger, give you a solid diagnosis & get some treatment started accordingly.

Christ on a bike. It turns out when they did the first blood test (7th Nov) they did take tubes for vitamin deficiencies; they just didn't look at the results for 2 weeks.

I basically have chronically low levels of D3, B12 and have some other minor stuff going on - almost all 100% because of my previous gut issues. So, seeing the doctor tomorrow, and I see many injections in my future.

Just glad I wasn't making a fuss about nothing at this point.

Well, That escalated quickly.

B12 and D3 levels are now 'normal'...

Buuuut... I wasn't feeling much better, and I've lost a load of weight since christmas. So I saw the doctor yesterday. And then again today., and had a phone call this afternoon; They think I've spontaneously developed Type 1 diabetes as my blood sugar is worryingly high. Starting insulin injections tomorrow morning as they're that concerned about me (ran out of time today) and more tests monday to determine exactly what's going on.

The NHS - When it works, it's superb.

Anyone got type 1 diabetes? Want to assure me that it's not a big deal...? :eek::eek:

Well, That escalated quickly.

B12 and D3 levels are now 'normal'...

Buuuut... I wasn't feeling much better, and I've lost a load of weight since christmas. So I saw the doctor yesterday. And then again today., and had a phone call this afternoon; They think I've spontaneously developed Type 1 diabetes as my blood sugar is worryingly high. Starting insulin injections tomorrow morning as they're that concerned about me (ran out of time today) and more tests monday to determine exactly what's going on.

The NHS - When it works, it's superb.

Anyone got type 1 diabetes? Want to assure me that it's not a big deal...? :eek::eek:

If you manage it well, you can expect to live a long and healthy life without any real boundaries to doing what you want. My Dad's had type 1 for 40+ years, now in his 80s and healthy as a horse, no complications etc. But he's always been super strict about management of blood sugar, food intake, done plenty of exercise etc. Monitoring and responding has got a lot easier nowadays too.

The complications tend to come to those who cannot manage it well. Even then, my wife's had it for 30+ years, and is hardly a model patient (her favourite food is cake, and she regularly indulges) - but she's doing pretty well (some peripheral neuropathy, cataract op for both eyes - but otherwise very healthy).

The NHS are extremely good at managing patients with diabetes. Now you're in the system, you should feel better pretty quickly.

Type 1 is often of the result of a genetic predisposition combined with some environmental factors (can happen after a dose of flu etc). You don't mention why you had the colectomy, but if you received a prolonged course of steroids as part of treatment then type 1 can be a possible side effect.

Last edited:
Back