NOS NIB Shimano M900 full set

LOL.

Yeah, or “The Brie in this one is particularly cheesy”

Wasn’t there a sticker where Peter Beardsley had his knob out ?

Are there really people that display these things in boxes ?

I appreciate wanting to have spares for your pristine ride, but what’s the point of buying it just to have it ??

Starting to think there is a whole new level of nerd to shoot for ?😳

The top quality NOS stuff is maybe a better "investment" than putting your money in the bank at current rates. A lot of it changes hands between "collectors" every few years, currently you're unlikely to lose money on that kind of sale.
It probably stays in the box though & never sees the light of day.... 😔

In another hobby I have a lot of NOS parts, mostly in original point of sale displays, dealer parts boxes etc up to 100 years old Worth a canny bit & a bit of social history in their own right. They'll not be used. I enjoy having them & they are great to display in the man cave.

Over & above my collection if I come across old parts I will sell them on - maybe not at the premium this groupset is fetching!

The older these bike parts get the more likely this will happen.
What’s the appeal. ? Is it to set yourself your own bike shop or is it just to have because you can ?

The thing I’m struggling with it that they are in the box aren’t they so they aren’t even displayable. ?

I know that M900 parts aren’t really worth anything so if you have anything to part with please let me know.

Problem is, as with all collectables is when they loose their global interest.

My dad collected cigarette cards all his life....problem is there are far far fewer collectors these days and prices have crashed from 20 years ago.....even the rare stuff is just not as desirable...

The same happens with most stuff....loads want it now as the people who remember xtr as sticky fingered window lickers are all desperate and most at their best point of financial equilibrium.

In 20 years it will be whatever was big in 2011....not 1991.....that is uber desirable.

I know you will always have the die hards and the odd ball collectors but.......as for mass appeal....?

Just risky proposition for investment....just take it off your mortgage......it will probably do you more longterm good.

But not as exciting and you cant sniff the boxes.

My dad collected cigarette cards all his life....problem is there are far far fewer collectors these days and prices have crashed from 20 years ago.....even the rare stuff is just not as desirable...

The same happens with most stuff....loads want it now as the people who remember xtr as sticky fingered window lickers are all desperate and most at their best point of financial equilibrium.

In 20 years it will be whatever was big in 2011....not 1991.....that is uber desirable.

I know you will always have the die hards and the odd ball collectors but.......as for mass appeal....?

Just risky proposition for investment....just take it off your mortgage......it will probably do you more longterm good.

I feel like it will peak around the time our generation are due to retire. What the hell else is there to do.

whilst when you look at cars, I’d happily pay good money for an e-type jag, yet they weren’t invented/released during my youth.

It’s a really good point you make and something I do think about.

I can see stuff like cigarette cards becoming less valuable as it’s so niche. Bikes however are so universal. I do wonder whether modern stuff is likely to be more valuable but also think that stuff like M900 is likely to still be desirable as it was some of the very the best at the start of MTB. Like Bond’s Aston Martin, will always have the appeal.

I was fortunate to mothball a few items before prices went totally mental though and wonder in 20 years time I’ll have a nice little nest egg or a pile of old junk.

Wish I had kept my He-Man stuff though, that’s fetching a pretty penny these days. I had that one that smelled of pine

But if you look at deer head stuff...chainset still £60 for a reasonable one, £60 derailleur, £50 levers and shifters....cant get much more iconic...first dedicated group...

They are far far rarer than xtr m900 in numbers produced and those left in the world....yet at basically 40 years old.....still not much more expensive than 20 years go. Not much of an investment.....in fact i reckon they are cheaper as fewer people are into early 80s bikes now.....they all have grandparent duties. Like i said i think it rolls with the generations.....

I think with the world getting more expensive to live in and with all those retro bikes bought up during lockdown, now on their second summer of no use, we could be on for a perfect storm of selling, flooded markets and declining prices....

Here's to getting those sheds empty sooner rather than later.....then you can re fill them for half the price!

Back