No more bikes!

Marc is 100% man

marc two tone":1l6g67gz said:
Never mind all this. Save a 'certain' 1992 bravado# , yellow. Give the rest to a cycle-recycle type of joint. Problem solved

#still got it?

Hello Marc. Yes I have still got that 92 Bravado. It did need a couple of bits finding for it. I think I was planning to try and find some Araya RM400 rims and some amber-wall Smokes to get it back to original spec. I'll have to go and remind myself though. I'm afraid to say that it's been gathering dust for the past few years and my rose tinted spectacles aren't as clear as they used to be.

I'll ignore your comment about ditching the rest in a canal as I really don't have a problem that needs solving.

My main problem is finding the time to push many projects forward.

I think I've got too many. Not all are built though.

Lynskey Peloton Road bike
Ron Cooper road bike
Raleigh Dune Dancer built up as a winter road bike with parts worth substantially more than the frame
Pashley Parabike
Marin muirwoods frame from mid 2000's
1996 Reynolds 853 Dawes Edge
Battered Raleigh Montage - great for when we could frequent pubs
Bates BAR Frame from 1950 something

It would be much appreciated if someone would like to just rock up with a wad of cash and take them all away so I can buy a modern gravel bike to replace them all.........

Re:

Can I see some pictures of the Dune Dancer? One hell of a cool frame! Here’s mine

Attachments

• 99CA42D7-AD5A-4E58-8D9C-B75BA148218C.jpeg
    99CA42D7-AD5A-4E58-8D9C-B75BA148218C.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 164
Re:

wind back to 2015 - too many Oranges....they were just everywhere. And boxes of spares. And wheels. A few non-citrus-based exotica growing dusty in the barn since I rode hardtails by preference. It was just silly. Eleven in total, which is modest by some standards...but the obsession is the same.

I build a nice sub 9kg hardtail (Kona) for my 10 year old son and that got the building itch going again. It's actually hard to get a youth bike down to a proportionately small weight since all you are giving away is a few cms of top tube and downtube, and a few spokes and cms of rim and tyre, in 24 in wheels. It was a fun build. And so that was it...

New geometry COTIC was his next bike, and in researching the performance of these, I bought one for myself. And then built two Commencal DH bikes for my son as he grew...And then built a Ragley for him, a Ragley for me. Then a Stanton. Then a Canyon DH for him.

I tried one-in, one-out. That was pretty good discipline. And it was possible that I might get the number down...

But then a Transition Sentinel frame 'came up' very cheaply. Of course, 'came up' meant it was bought from a guy in the trade after lots of searching. Then two jump bikes. Then another Stanton - LockDown special when you could actually buy components. OK...stop now. Then another COTIC from here - couldn't resist a singlespeed. That's it, no more. Then a Spank Tweet Tweet frame in metallic blue cam up. Right that's it....then a neglected Spesh P1....THAT'S IT, NO MORE BIKES....

Holly .... you are describing the heaven!! How not to be happy ... good bicycles and amazing parts anodized everywhere :)

Re:

I've lost a bit of focus on what I had set out to do, which was to find and build bikes from my youth, build them, maybe ride them, but have them stored in a space which I can enjoy them in, think 'man cave'/bike 'museum'. I've got all of them, though two remain not quite finished and I really must get them done by spring (I'm sure I said the same last year...).
Trouble is I keep being distracted by others that come up to buy, which as the OP says, takes up more room and limits other activities be it use or spannering.

I've got a couple in mind to sell as complete bikes/framesets in the spring in order to get things back on track.

/However...another complete bike is in the post to me...and I've got my eyes on another as soon as that lands :facepalm:

Re:

I have been slowly but surely getting rid of most of my bikes in the past 2 years. Now it's a great moment to do so, as nice weather is coming and this year specially there's a great shortage of new bikes and parts so there's a huge demand in the second hand market!

The process of selling goes as follows:
-mmm, ok, I need to get rid of this bike, I'll just put an ad with an slightly too high price hoping nobody will ask, and if the bike sells, well, I got a good chunk of cash out of it
-oh no, there's someone actually interested! I should not have put the ad up, I really like this bike! Oh well, we'll see how it goes.
-sale day: very excited, hoping the sale goes through after all the effort, even if deep down I "want" to keep the bike
-bike sold. Great sense of relief and liberation. One less to keep and look after, more time to focus on the remaining ones.

And repeat. Now down to just 2, the do-it-all and a hardtail. I have the hardtail for sale at a stupid price so it will never sell while I pretend I want to get rid of it. No temptation to get a new bike since current delivery times are about 6 months on average

Back