No more bikes!

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
It's been getting a bit ridiculous here. I've got a cellar which can fit quite a few bikes, the trouble is the more you put in it the harder it is to get to anything and actually use it. The more you stash in the garage the harder it is to work on anything.

Have sold two bikes this week. Just packed them up - took hours and I'm nervous about them getting damaged in transit. Hard work! But I'm already relieved to have fewer bikes to think about.

And I spend way more time spannering than riding. I mean I love it, but it's daft.

The thing is, no matter how many I have, I never quite seem to have exactly the right one fpr every occasion...hopefully I'm getting there.

:facepalm:

:mrgreen:

Last Spring, two jump bikes. Last summer saw three big builds...then I bought a new Switch9er Stanton and that was definitely the last, the absolute last and the complete last build. For ages. Finished that last week. Then I saw the COTIC Simple frame on here. Gorgeous thing. Now I am building that....

Re:

I'm the sane. Not enough space to work on bikes as have too many bikes and parts. Sell a few but find they get replaced. I will have to try to be more disciplined in future especially as I will have less space when an extension removes the garage from the equation.

Until then though......

I just try and do a one in and one out policy. Last year managed to sell off 7 bikes and a couple of frames, and lots of parts.. Must admit, its a relief, plus you can keep track where things are better, and actually ride them more frequently, when you have a more select number.

Re:

I don't think I've reached critical mass yet.
64 'complete' as in currently fully built up and rideable bikes at the last count. Plus another 20+ ongoing projects and I haven't stopped collecting.
I think about letting a few of them go at times but don't see it as necessary.

I see my retro mountain bike collection as just that nowadays; a collection.
Most of them will rarely get ridden unless there is a specific reason. But they will all get an outing every now and then.
At least my collection gets seen and hopefully appreciated because they are on public display in my shop/workshop.

My focus has shifted to road riding over the past few years and my modern fleet sees the vast majority of my riding.
A 600km Audax probably wouldn't be that practical on a thirty year old MTB. Could be fun though...

Re:

Cleared a fair amount of parts during lockdown 1 & am managing to keep numbers down. I think this is due to mainly re-building lots of strays, bikes I like, just not enough to keep. Just as, & sometime more satisfying then a fancy build.
This said I am however planning to clear my workshop of some of the cars this year which will create a lot of space, so we'll see how that turns out.

Re:

I used to have far too many projects on the go and could never turn down a decent deal so just kept adding to it. I've had various culls over the years but always kept a decent stock and built back up over time.

For one reason or another I've been selling rather than buying over the last year or so and now have slim pickings in the garage of only my 92 Clockwork, Orange Stage 5, my wife's Orange Diva and then a P7 frame that's on it's way, a 531 British Eagle donor that I have not got round to selling and a 89 Specialized Stumpjumper I collected and am sending on for another member.

Basically I have two bikes! :shock: That hasn't happened for a while. TBH it feels pretty good as I have loads of parts if I find an interesting frame, room to move and no pile of lovely bikes not getting used. Getting another gravel bike next month if I can find one available but don't think I'll let the retro thing get out of control anytime soon.

Re: Re:

drystonepaul":4djmbv19 said:
I don't think I've reached critical mass yet.
64 'complete' as in currently fully built up and rideable bikes at the last count. Plus another 20+ ongoing projects and I haven't stopped collecting.
I think about letting a few of them go at times but don't see it as necessary.

I see my retro mountain bike collection as just that nowadays; a collection.
Most of them will rarely get ridden unless there is a specific reason. But they will all get an outing every now and then.
At least my collection gets seen and hopefully appreciated because they are on public display in my shop/workshop.

My focus has shifted to road riding over the past few years and my modern fleet sees the vast majority of my riding.
A 600km Audax probably wouldn't be that practical on a thirty year old MTB. Could be fun though...

Never mind all this. Save a 'certain' 1992 bravado# , yellow. Give the rest to a cycle-recycle type of joint. Problem solved

#still got it?

Back