No more bikes!

I think the OP has it right. If it's taking me 10 minutes and scraped shins just to get to the bike I want to ride then I probably have too many.

If I can't actually make the room to work on any of the bikes then i probably have too many.

If i can't decide which one I should sell in order to create some space then I probably have too many.

I have too many bikes yet I cant stop buying more.... HELP!!! 🤪

I'm going to see if having a frame built to fit me and the riding I do can bring closure . I'd like to have 6 or less , or , even better , be able to get them all in one place comfortably/safely.

I had....past tense....the parts for probably 30 retro bikes 2 years ago. Never even looked at most of the stuff. Just stuck in the barn roof in boxes where it had all been put over 30 years. Two years ago, I owned 2 " normal" bikes i used all the time and 1 "retro" bike i had always owned and used.

Last year i pulled it all out. Went through it and thought i might build some more bikes......you know what i realised?

The reason i put it all up there was that i was not really that interested in it. My " retro" bike is, well, my bike.....ive had it 32 years this year and its the one that ticks all the boxes....emotional attachment, rekindled youth, classic bike, memories of mates and rides, the one i wanted back in the day etc......Frankly no other bikes ever going to give me that, it just cant.

So, i sold all the stuff....... bar a few bits for a possible couple of builds......wow the relief! Unreal, like a weight of a supposed past had been lifted.

Plus the barn roof is less likely to collapse and kill me.

Since then ive built one more from the parts.....onto a found frame ( swallow ptarmigan) which after 6 months im thinking of selling, and i have one " franken-marin" daily driver on the go, so i can sell my 2013 scott scale.

Bikes are made to ride imho. If i want an ornament i will go to poundland and get a paper weight; if i need a coat hanger, ditto; if i want all my available workshop space removed, i will just let the kids in!

Own a few, ride them often. But hey, that just me and if garage packed with bikes does it for you, more power to your elbow.

Back