Newbie - Cannondale F700 Restoration

JimGreen

Dirt Disciple
I'm no youngster, but spent many of my younger years working in the cruise industry on ships that tended to go to Alaska in the summer months, and allowed me to go biking over some great trails.

My first venture into mountain biking was around 1996 when I purchased my first mountain bike, a Cannondale F700 which I gradually improved with XT components and Mavic Rims and spent many a great day exploring Alaska. Unfortunately in around 1999 this got stolen while being shipped back to England, and I never saw it again. Luckily it was insured and along with all the invoices for my improvements and a letter from the bike dealership that i purchased it from, allowed my to go on to purchase a 1999 Cannondale F2000, one of the first disc braked mountain bikes on the market. I continued riding this for about four years, but never really enjoyed it as much as my old F700, even though it was a better bike.

So my last ride on a decent bike was back in around 2005 Ish.

This leads me to Now....... I often browse ebay to see if there are any nice Vintage Cannondale's up for sale and two days ago I spotted a gorgeous F700, same colour as my old steed that was stolen all those years ago, looked in quite good condition bearing in mind this was one is a 1997 model, so 23 years old (But still looking good).

Now it's been nearly 20 years since mountain biking was my main hobby, and as you can guess, I'm not up to date on the latest components, so I'm on a learning curve all over again. My hobby is restoring classic 70's cars, in-fact anything mechanical, I have a pretty good workshop, so I'm looking forward to this and it gives me something to do during the COVID lockdown, luckily I can get most of what I need online.

This bike needs a new front wheel and hub, as the hub is cracked, and the rims (Front & Rear) are a little tired, So i'm looking at a replacing both wheels and hubs (Complete), so can anyone recommend a nice middle of the road replacement wheel set, something around the level of the old Shimano LX/XT components for the hubs along with a set of rims to complement them. The Headshok needs some attention, it still locks out but I can tell it's not working quite as it should, so this will be coming apart. I won't be doing any aggressive riding, more river bank rides and trail riding, and would like to keep the costs sensible, but still have quality components.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated for Hub & Wheelset.

The good news is the frame is in very good condition, no corrosion at all, just a few scratches here and there.

My New Steed............

Re:

Paint looks immaculate

As for wheels, put a wanted and in here it else I'd see what Merlin have. They make and sell good wheel

Re: Newbie - Cannondale F700

Paint looks good. What about pedals?

Nice. I'm envious of your biking in Alaska (worked there a couple of years - fabulous).
I'd have thought black Shimano LX hubs would suit that nicely given its other black components. Maybe look for them on a lightweight rim (Mavic 517 or some such) to keep things spinning up quickly on those Rocket Rons.
As coomber says a want ad posted on here should throw up some options.

tintin40":1dvfvb5l said:
Paint looks good. What about pedals?

For some strange reason it comes minus pedals, but not a problem as I just ordered a load of gear from Evan's Cycles.

Deore T610 Levers (Black)
Deore T610 Front & Rear V Brakes (Black)
Shimano GR500 pedals (Black)

Now I'm just left with getting some wheels fitted with Deore T610 Hubs, front and rear. But finding it hard to decide on which rims I should use.

Been quite a few years since I was last browsing biking components, so a little out of date. Looking for a wheel suitable more for Trekking than full on mountain biking. I live near the North Yorkshire Moors, so trail riding more than anything too extreme.

Having spent the last two days browsing the web, I decided that the Deore T610 components will do what I need, without spending a bomb, so based my rebuild on those components.

Just need to find a decent rim to use, don't want anything too heavy though.

jonthefish":1vpsbv7r said:
Nice. I'm envious of your biking in Alaska (worked there a couple of years - fabulous).
I'd have thought black Shimano LX hubs would suit that nicely given its other black components. Maybe look for them on a lightweight rim (Mavic 517 or some such) to keep things spinning up quickly on those Rocket Rons.
As coomber says a want ad posted on here should throw up some options.

Hi Jon

Yep, I loved Alaska, I was working on cruise ships at the time and spent many summers there. I used to love it when we visited Juneau and rode up the Perseverance Trail, a mountain bikers dream, used to take about three hours to do it, and loved every minute. Skagway & Ketchikan were both great places for exploring too.

Thanks for the advice, I'm currently looking at Deore T610 hubs, just need to find them on a decent wheel, always used to use Mavic Rims, so I'll do some searching.

Was looking at these, but unsure if they're a little heavy which some reviews suggest.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-Ryde-Andr ... RCZuwlOryQ

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great looking MTB. Always loved Cannondale. Had a few of their road bikes & still own two but, never had one of their MTBs.

Hope you enjoy it as much as your original.

Cheers,

Re: And the restoration begins..........

So..... the restoration begins, after a day in the workshop, she's ready for paint.

Headshock rebuilt (DD60) after making my own Castle Tool, just waiting for a few bits, actually it's a lot of bits :D :D

Attachments

• 54F9784C-805B-4752-8D73-B0C21590460F.JPG
    54F9784C-805B-4752-8D73-B0C21590460F.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 743

I initially started with a complete frame strip, and then got on to sanding the whole frame back to aluminium, a tiring task even with a good DA sander. But eventually got it immaculate.

The headshock was in a bit of a state, the spring looks fine, but I ordered another one just for peace of mind, the damper looks like it had been replaced at some time and just needed an oil change and a good bleed, but the elasto had just disintegrated in the head shok, preventing a smooth movement of the suspension, I managed to find a replacement which hopefully will be here in a few days.

I made up my own castle tool, not pretty but it does the job perfectly and without causing any damage.

Lots of goodies in the mail for her......... The new spring on the way from the good old USA !!! Lot's of Deore parts in the mail, new wheels and tyres, new brakes, new levers, new bars, new seat, hopefully she'll look like she just came off the production line.

COLOUR ........ undecided at the moment, but thinking buttercup yellow. All the part i've ordered are in black, so a nice contrast, or maybe Nando Grey and White Frame Stickers.

Will update as I progress.

Attachments

• IMG_8532.jpg
    IMG_8532.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_8551.jpg
    IMG_8551.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_8545.jpg
    IMG_8545.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_8546.jpg
    IMG_8546.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 740
  • 54F9784C-805B-4752-8D73-B0C21590460F.JPG
    54F9784C-805B-4752-8D73-B0C21590460F.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 741
Re:

My Hand Made Castle Tool

Modified Halfords 22mm Socket, not pretty, but does the job perfectly.

Attachments

• 1800DE89-6393-40BE-8392-D8267C9723CE.jpeg
    1800DE89-6393-40BE-8392-D8267C9723CE.jpeg
    878.5 KB · Views: 731
  • 7FB03794-9FC9-4DC5-A3E3-A594EFB77C03.jpeg
    7FB03794-9FC9-4DC5-A3E3-A594EFB77C03.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 731
Back