new project: 1936 professional racing bike

Saddle is done. Rust is removed , leather has been washed (I used hands soap) and first day of cream has gone through (I guess I need to go on with the cream).

I know this can create discussion but I used the leather cream I know from kid. We call it "horse fat" here, but it's basically a chemical with parafins and lanoline. Really cheap and works very well.

I discovered I had to make my own tool to un-tighten and tighten the leather. The caliper was not needed, just thought it it would look nice in the pics!

saddle - before.jpg saddle - after.jpg saddle - parts.jpg saddle - restored.jpg

A video showing how gear shifting worked back in the 30's should be a nice goal .
I understand the basic idea of the shifting system from the description by keithglos earlier in this great thread and a video would be awesome!
I really like the approach you're taking to bring this marvellous bike back to life. Watching with interest, good luck with the project! :cool:

Cleaning is going on ... now pedals (looks they went to a war!), brakes, headset, handlebar and a Super Riviera brass stem I could not find any reference to. Did it have any badge ? I will fill the gap with a piece of cork if I can't findd anything better ;)

pedals.jpg headset.jpg super riviera stem.jpg super riviera badge.jpg bowden brake levers.jpg

And moving on with the fork and installing the headset. There are 24 balls each cup in this Stronglight headset, if it helps anyone ;)
I'm finishing with the easy bits while sourcing for a wheelset ...

headset2.jpg

Attachments

• headset1.jpg
    headset1.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 13
  • headset3.jpg
    headset3.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 9
  • headset4.jpg
    headset4.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 9
  • headset5.jpg
    headset5.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 7
  • hedaset6.jpg
    hedaset6.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 11
You got me ;) I did not. I don't have the tool to remove the nut, plus I still remember the nightmare it was last time I tried to fully overhaul these type of pedals. I manage to fit some good grease in anyhow.

Has some one realized the engraving in the fork tube ? Thinking now to remove it again to read it in full..... ;(

I've got a pair of wooden wheels, but not really in good condition, although not bad, maybe I was too excited to get them.... These are about 30mm wide.

Was that width usual back in those days, for racing ? Would you recommend me to restore them or to look for something else ? (unfortunately the hubs are not worth to keep) Any idea what is this green layer in between ?

Attachments

• IMG_20220206_130058.jpg
    IMG_20220206_130058.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220206_130108.jpg
    IMG_20220206_130108.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220206_130131.jpg
    IMG_20220206_130131.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 23
I think the green was decoration. They look like old grass track wheels. The little splinter can be glued back with epoxy.
You can rub them down and revarnish. I knew someone who used to finish truing with a wood chisel.
Perhaps a light coat of varnish laid on with a rag, you dont want much on the braking surface.

Keith

Back