New, new bike time...possibly

BerthaPog

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Close to saying yes to new shiny shiny, look8ng at Whyte T130, which should cover everything I’d won’t to do (and frankly probably way more capable than i am). Any good reason not to get 2018 vs 2019?

Thoughts on T130 or alternatives weldome, don’t worry silly old bikes will remain!

Re:

i like the Whyte bikes but i do have a few grumbles having built and worked on a few.

there's the usual sram v shimano argument, as they seem to do alternate models, personally i'm in the shimano camp. the GX 12 speed has not been the most reliable from experience, especially if ridden in the winter. but because of the alternate specs it can mean the price point you want has the group set you may not like forcing you to spend more or less than you want if your brand loyalties win out.

the matt finishes seem to have quite thin paint, and although i like the aesthetic of hidden cables through the down tube, out the down tube and back in and out of the chain stays they are a pain if being worked on, especially come pivot bearing removal time, both the gears and brakes will need removing which means bleeding the rear brake. just adds time to the whole job.

as i understand it the pivot bearing quality has dropped but they still offer free replacements to the original owner for life but see above comment regards fitting.

i like the ride though, slack head angles and long top tube and short stem is a good combination

one more thing, and this is small, i use an Exposure front light mounted on my stem, this stem fit kit doesn't fit their standard stem as the bolts are too far apart, which means having the lights mounted to one side of the stem on the bar, this messes with my OCD! ;)

the back up from ATB Sales (the importer and owner of the brand) is usually pretty good

FYI, i don't sell them but i have several customers with them, so i see them once used, several of the hardtails and maybe 4 or 5 of the full suspension bikes.

4 years ago i was looking for a bike to go to NZ with for 6 months, it was between the T130 models and an Orange 5, i bought the 5.

2 years later i opened my own shop, 2 years after that i am an Orange dealer, take from that what you will! ;)

Jon, thanks for comprehensive view.

Rode various bikes at a Cannock demo day back in 2016, Whyte T130, T129, 905, Trek Stache and Orange full sus, not a 5, but running 27.5s rather than 29s from memory.

Just didn’t get on with the T129 - felt quite unwieldy, I’m about 5’7”/8” and even the correct size felt a bit barge like.

Stache again felt fun on the downs in a “it’ll ride through anything dumper truck” vibe, but was heavy going on the ups, but was running huge width (for me) tyres.

Oddly cannot remember anything about the Orange, good or bad.

The T130 (RS spec) and the 901 both just felt “right”.

Went back a week later to ride my 2002 Sub 5 Pro, to make sure it wasn’t just “new bike syndrome”. Was pleasantly surprised at how well the Sub 5 did, but I could feel the difference - combination of geometry and travel (Sub 5 is on its original 80mm forks, and only specked up to 100mm).

Now wondering about hardtail vs full sus...arghhh

Don't get nervous. Get a new bike. I had a Sub 5 and it was a hooligan tool. It encouraged me to have 2 bone breaking accidents.
I love the T130, but also had a test ride at Wheelbase in the lakes on a T129, which I also liked. Funnily enough I'm about the same height and could easily be persuaded by a 29er. MBR have just done a first ride impression of the new T130, which might be worth reading.

Back