New mystery build! Yes, it's a ZASKAR!

Re:

Is it a ( 14" race ) zaskar , in red black and grey ?

Get on with it then

Mike

Re: Re:

mikee":n3onc3fn said:
Is it a ( 14" race ) zaskar , in red black and grey ?

Get on with it then

Mike

:LOL:

Four pages in and no pic's of it unwrapped, let alone any sign of a spanner being turned.

Slow burner ?

Tea and biccies anyone whilst we wait

Re:

I am bored now..anyway it's just cardboard tubes wrapped up in left over Christmas paper :LOL:

Re: New mystery build!

Yes. Peaked. Jumped the shark.

Reveal all or I'm writing to the corporation.

Re: New mystery build!

Spot on ant

Taped together bog roll and turkey foil tubes methinks

Mike

Retro Spud":my6cz22c said:
Four pages in and no pic's of it unwrapped, let alone any sign of a spanner being turned.

Slow burner ?

Tea and biccies anyone whilst we wait
Yeah, sorry about that. Back at work and no time for posting!

Well, here's a picture of it before wrapping:
QZ7ccba.jpg

Looks like a Zaskar that's just a bit further away, right? Wrong! It's a special 24" wheel small frame Zaskar built by GT back in 1995/96 for the new Shimano Youth Series (for kids up to 12, I think). Apparently they only built around 150 or so. Pretty much the only info I can find was from gm1230126 in this thread right here: viewtopic.php?t=239507

The frame is in pretty good nick -- just needs a tough of Brasso it get the full lustre back. Interestingly, unlike the regular full size Zaskar, this one is made from 7005 Al (and no, it's not a rebadged Pantera shrunk in the wash!).

It is going to be a slow burner, 'cos the parts are going to be so hard to come by. My son (:cool: of impeccable taste is a big fan of Hans "No Way" Rey (the joys of YouTube!), and wants a bike just like his. I reckon getting hold of original 24" Ballistic or rigid GT forks is going to be pretty much impossible (let alone whether there ever existed such a thing as 24" Rock Shox!), so may have to go modern there. Cranks the right size may be a bit tough too, so some BMX or Thorn tandem ones will have to do (for now, at least).

As for the rest, hoping to go as close to the kit Hans rode BITD -- this thread has been invaluable for help there: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=261056&hilit=+hans+rey+zaskar

So, if anyone knows anything more about these old kids Zaskars, please pass it on.

Re:

Were the ballistics modified 26" ones? I have some 26" ones in my pile of stuff to take to the tip if you want them.

Truativ do reasonable cranks in kid size

Antstark":1ndjkvbs said:
Were the ballistics modified 26" ones? I have some 26" ones in my pile of stuff to take to the tip if you want them.

Truativ do reasonable cranks in kid size
It's possible, I suppose. Don't really know too much about them. I was half wondering about adapting a set of Pace RC35s on the basis that the brake bosses are moveable.

I'll take a look at the Truvativs. Was also looking at Sinz BMX cranks.

Back