New guy, old bike

I took her out for a short ride last Saturday, she rode like a dream apart from the frazzled brake blocks performance. That was to be expected though. The nose of the saddle needs to be dropped a tad, otherwise I was happy with the riding position. I got home in one piece which bodes well for future rides.

Iā€™ve got some Weinmann type blocks stashed somewhere, so once they have been dug out I will get them fitted and sort the saddle out. Iā€™ll try to get a few more miles in this weekend too.

I made time and stripped, cleaned, lightly greased and rebuilt the Arabesque shifters, ready for fitting later on. The front and rear mechā€™s will get the same treatment nearer the time.

I took her out for a short ride last Saturday, she rode like a dream apart from the frazzled brake blocks performance. That was to be expected though. The nose of the saddle needs to be dropped a tad, otherwise I was happy with the riding position. I got home in one piece which bodes well for future rides.

Iā€™ve got some Weinmann type blocks stashed somewhere, so once they have been dug out I will get them fitted and sort the saddle out. Iā€™ll try to get a few more miles in this weekend too.

I made time and stripped, cleaned, lightly greased and rebuilt the Arabesque shifters, ready for fitting later on. The front and rear mechā€™s will get the same treatment nearer the time.
Good to hear. Kool stop pads will be a night and day upgrade.

This evening I thought Iā€™d strip, clean and reassemble the Arabesque front mech. That didnā€™t take long and it went smoothly enough, it looks better for it so well worth the effort. So I thought why not do the rear mech too, what a bloody ball ache that turned out to be. The strip down and cleaning was a doddle, the fun started with the reassembly. Long story short, I had to persuade the tab that keeps the mount and body spring tensioned back into shape to prevent it from slipping over the other tab. I got it sorted and it cleaned up pretty well too.

The gear set is now ready to rock and roll. I now have to dig out the chainset and bottom bracket I know is hiding in the garage somewhere.

Iā€™ve ordered some bar tape ready for when the levers are swapped out, nothing fancy, I went for Deda but wished Iā€™d gone for the perforated now. I bought black.

I think Iā€™d like some hoods for the 600 levers, so do any of you guys know which Dia-Compe hoods fit the 600ā€™s better, the 202/204 hoods or the 165 hoods? Listings for both mention they work with the 600ā€™s but one must be a better fit, anybody tried both and have an opinion on it?

Thanks

I guess you guys like pics, so hereā€™s a few of the gear set and levers. Not perfect but clean enough and usable. The alloy parts might get a very light polish, just to brighten them up a little.

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1267.jpeg
    IMG_1267.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg